Rear axle flip?

Bigred89

refused to build a jeep
Reaction score
City, State
Hutchinson, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer sport xlt
Ok guys I'm getting plans together for a solid d30 swap on my 98 ex, I have the front pretty much planned out. My friend has a guy he works with that wheels a 94 ex on 35s and d30 swap, he told my friend for the rear axle all he did was turn the rear axle upside down so he didn't need to weld on new perches so now it's basically like a high pinion. My question is does this even make sense because now your rear end is literally upside down. To me I rather just weld new perches on the top and mount it so it's normal.... Any input on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No as in it's a dumb idea? Haha it just makes no sense to me why you'd wanna even do it like that

Well your pinion angle will be facing the wrong direction. The diff breather will be upside down. The fluid fill hole would be on the bottom of the axle. The speed sensor would be on the bottom of the axle. The brake caliper bleeders would be upside down. The pumpkin would be offset to the wrong side and your driveshaft would probably hit something. Your friend is trolling you.

You'd also be driving on the coast side of the ring and pinion, not the drive side.

Haha well that's exactly what I thought too.. all that **** will be on the bottom then like you said.. it's just as easy to weld new perches on top and mount it the way it should be

Lol was that sarcasm? But seriously that's why I asked cuz I laughed when he told me that because I've never once heard of anyone doing it that way so I figured I'd jump on here and get some input on it but I ordered new perches this weekend for the rear and some heims and poly bushings to make the front control arms for the d30

This is where she stands as of now.. nothing crazy just yet.. lots of weight reduction lol fenders are cut ARB on board air installed totally gutted except for seats and stock dash, eventually will go with 33s and 4.56 gears, the d30 I'll be getting already has 4.56s and chro mo shafts with a lock right in it so it should be a fun build

IMG_20171217_141712271.jpg

Back