• Register Today It's free!

Running rich?

james91x

Reaction score
City, State
Drasco
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mountaineer 5.0 awd
I have a 97 mounty 5.0 I've deleted cats dual in dual out flowmaster cold air intake 8mm plug wires ngk g power platinum plugs stock maf everything besides air intake and exhaust is stock but you can smell raw fuel in the exhaust and if you're like idling through a parking lot it and stop it and let of of it you can hear it pop through the air filter kinda like when it's running out of gas but then it picks up and goes no misfire it also when it's idling in park or neutral and you rev it the first rev it kind falls on it's face first like the throttle response is great except for when you first hit the throttle any ideas on what I need to look for or where to start I bought this truck for 500 dollars and have spent about 1200 putting wheels and tires and exhaust new axels bushings etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start with putting cats back on it

If you removed all cats, you should get a check engine light unless you did a rear o2 sensor delete in the tune, or similar such things.
No check engine light? Does the light work?

You bought the truck with this issue? Injector wire (Ground) pinched keeping a injector open all the time?
Do you have any way to log the front o2 sensors and at least narrow down what bank the issue is on?

No I don't and the light comes on with the rest of them when you turn the key on

James91x, we really need to at least be able to narrow down what bank.
My experience with the pcm is that if it's a spark issue the pcm tends to throw a miss-fire code almost immediately (Check engine light comes on) and the code that is read tells you what cylinder is the issue.
With injector issues, no code is thrown (No check engine light). This makes troubleshooting difficult. This is where monitoring the front o2 sensors will tell us at least what side the issue is on.

I'm also concerned that your check engine light did not come on after you removed the cats (All 4, correct?). With all 4 cats removed, your check engine light should come on also.

Without more information, we can't help you.

It uses the O2 sensors to determine oxygen content in the exhaust. Did you remove the O2 sensors, how many are there, and are they new or original?

Back