How do I remove the 5R55S transmission plug to solenoid without breaking it?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove the 5R55S transmission plug to solenoid without breaking it??

cello6996

Reaction score
City, State
Taylor, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94,2006 Explorer XLT 4WD
I have searched high and low through posts etc also tried Google and You Tube! I can not get this plug out and the one that came with the used engine I purchased is busted to hell along with a few other plugs. Can anyone tell me the trick? I have been told it has a clip; I see none! I know it has a double o ring as does the solenoid I have the engine hanging all ready to come out but do not really want to cut the harness and splice it especially living in S.E. Michigan. ( Salt city) PLEASE HELP!!! I am at my witts end. Normally I have no trouble finding quick and easy posts and answers to fix what ever but this one escapes me. Thank you all very much for all your posts and valuable information!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have searched high and low through posts etc also tried Google and You Tube! I can not get this plug out and the one that came with the used engine I purchased is busted to hell along with a few other plugs. Can anyone tell me the trick? I have been told it has a clip; I see none! I know it has a double o ring as does the solenoid I have the engine hanging all ready to come out but do not really want to cut the harness and splice it especially living in S.E. Michigan. ( Salt city) PLEASE HELP!!! I am at my witts end. Normally I have no trouble finding quick and easy posts and answers to fix what ever but this one escapes me. Thank you all very much for all your posts and valuable information!!
Here is a link to a replacement plug that looks like the one I'm trying to pull to do an engine exchange. 5R55S 5R55W Transmission Wire Harness Pigtail Repair Kit For Solenoid Block Pack | eBay

every bolt in plug I have ever removed simply unbolted and pulled straight out..... some harder than others but none had locks.... this maybe one that does but I also cant see any..... also dont forget if you break that plug those rouge ferrel city rabbits of taylor will eat your wires!

every bolt in plug I have ever removed simply unbolted and pulled straight out..... some harder than others but none had locks.... this maybe one that does but I also cant see any..... also dont forget if you break that plug those rouge ferrel city rabbits of taylor will eat your wires!
YES! MCF I really don't know. Nothing works and the plastic is so brittle it snaps every time I try to pull up on it. Guess I will have to cut and splice. That's the last thing I want to do especially in Michigan.

YES! MCF I really don't know. Nothing works and the plastic is so brittle it snaps every time I try to pull up on it. Guess I will have to cut and splice. That's the last thing I want to do especially in Michigan.

im sure if you follow the basics.... solder, shrink tube and tek flex tape and all will be great ..... I was looking for that loom tape for a long time and found out homedepot sells it at the end of the electrical isle on the endcap

taylor homedepot Aisle 08, Bay SC4..... end of the isle toward the middle of the store same side as the electrical tape inside a little display rack.... took me 20 mins to find it!
3/4 in. x 20 ft. Friction Tape, Black $2.97 each

Thanks Motor City Fats I did buy some extra wide friction tape from Madison Electric on Northline just West Allen rd. they carry 2,1 1/2 and 3/4 in rolls fairly cheap. I found the solder shrinking butt connectors from Fastenal pack of 25 for just under $25 with tax. No crimping with these also wrapping with shrink tube so triple protection!! Fingers crossed it will last for decades or at least out last the car. Time will tell.

Looking at the EBay link I can't imagine why it would have a secondary lock with a screw through the middle. Have you tried any penetrant spray? One o-ring can be a bear when it's dried out - two can become super glue.

Yes I've tried everything as well as a few friends who do this for a living and everyone has been scratching heads and brains. Unless at some time in the past someone glued it in; None of us can figure why it just will not come out. One friend says Ford is now putting in a water channel to deflect water etc from pooling and running on the plug. If you ask me some of these Engineers need a good stiff kick in the pants for some of these hair brain ideas!!

Back