6R transmission - lock out 6th?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6R transmission - lock out 6th??

Picking back up on this topic, I have been working with the tuners at 5 star tuning, and they are sending me a custom tune that will change how the OD off button works, so it will only lock out 6th gear. I don't have the tuner yet but they confirmed this is possible with one of their tunes. I noticed this when looking at their custom tune order form, the 2010 f150's had the option to do this with the 6R.

5 Star Tuning Calibration Request (Ford) - 5 Star Tuning

I'll follow up with the results after I get the tuner and apply it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh that would be awesome!! I tried doing the same with Hypertech but got shutdown with the idea... Yes please follow up

Picking back up on this topic, I have been working with the tuners at 5 star tuning, and they are sending me a custom tune that will change how the OD off button works, so it will only lock out 6th gear. I don't have the tuner yet but they confirmed this is possible with one of their tunes. I noticed this when looking at their custom tune order form, the 2010 f150's had the option to do this with the 6R.

5 Star Tuning Calibration Request (Ford) - 5 Star Tuning

I'll follow up with the results after I get the tuner and apply it...
That sounds interesting.

I wonder if a tune for the older trucks(96-01) can change the default for the OD button. It always defaults to being off, giving you OD. I'd rather it stay as it was when the ignition is shut off, and let me decide what it does and when. I have to shut the OD off 20+ times per day, I don't need OD when driving 30-40mph tops.

Not looking too good with the 5 star tunes. I have the SCT X4 tuner, and they have tried twice to create tunes that lock out 6th only, but no luck yet. Getting a little frustrated because they told me right at the start that they can do it no problem. I'll give them one more try, but 3 strikes and they are out...

Other than the lockout not working as expected how is the tune? After your initial post about them I read through their website and they really talk about setting up 4.6/5.4 6spd trucks for tow/haul. Has the tuning improved that aspect of your truck?

OK a little bit of an update - I was under the impression that this would be a plug and play tune from 5 star, but apparently there are enough differences between the Explorers and F150's that it will take data logging and a number of attempts at tuning to get this done. I am not sure I have the time or motivation for this right now, but if someone else wants to work with them they are confident its possible.

For the time being, I am going to use the standard tunes they sent me for a while to see how I like them. They definitely do firm up shifts, and overall improve how the transmission operates in my opinion. I might even go as far as to say that hitting the OD off button for non-highway driving isn't necessary any more it is shifting so much better, but I need some more seat time to be sure..

Where are you /they at with the programming for the 6th gear lockout? What are you experiencing?

they have sent me 3 sets of tunes so far. the first set seemed like their default explorer tune, and the file names didn't mention anything about the OD off mod. the second and third set of tunes they sent didn't get it right, with a number of issues in each. from very sensitive (almost dangerous) throttle, to not shifting into 6th in regular OD 'on' mode, they have not been able to get it right yet. after a few phone calls they told me I will need to connect the programmer to a laptop and do some data logging... honestly I just dont have time for this right now.

so I went back to the first set of tunes they sent, and have been running the 87 octane performance/tow tune. many improvements with it.. less gear hunting, going from coasting to accelerating is very smooth and not laggy/jerky like the stock shifting can be, etc. hard for me to explain all of the differences but I really like it...

I looked into this for a while too, and was never able to get any straight answers from anyone.
I was told to try and get the Select-Shift function to activate and use a '-/+' button to force the shifts.

Back