• Register Today It's free!

TPMS sensors - yes or no

grfo

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
My 2007 didn't have the wheel sensors when I bought it a couple months ago.

The alerts are really annoying.

If it were your truck, would you spend the $240 (I'm estimating) to get 4 sensors off of Rockauto and having my tire guy install them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently have bad sensors, they broke off and started flopping around inside the tire causing balance issues, when ever a tire needs replacing I have decided to replace tire and remove the sensor..... even with the lower priced TPMS options I dont want them anymore and its just not worth making that one light turn off..... im more old school and I look at my tires before I go for a drive and dont need a system doing this for me

so.... not worth my $100-$150 extra

Wow, hard for me to believe I still have all four original sensors working on my 2006 Explorer. Only time I get a malfunction light is when I install the steel spare which does not have a sensor, And I get the low tire pressure warning whenever one or more gets below 27 psi

I'm running the OEM sensors on my 2007 also. Hard to believe they are still functioning considering that there is a battery involved. Oddly enough - they've never actually done anything for me. I have a garage and an air compressor so the tires get looked after. I actually let air out of one of the tires years ago just to test them.
If they go - I'll probably look at bypassing them.

I'd replace them, because the light would bug the hell outta me

I currently have bad sensors, they broke off and started flopping around inside the tire causing balance issues, when ever a tire needs replacing I have decided to replace tire and remove the sensor..... even with the lower priced TPMS options I dont want them anymore and its just not worth making that one light turn off..... im more old school and I look at my tires before I go for a drive and dont need a system doing this for me

so.... not worth my $100-$150 extra
I hope you are doing more than just looking at them. Visually checking a tire may not tell you it's under inflated. I doubt most people could recognize the difference between 35psi and 27psi by just looking at the tires. Typically by the time a tire is low enough to be visible it's well under the point where a TPMS system would trigger the light on the dash. You have already lost a significant load carrying capability by the time the dash light comes on.

It depends on how hands-on you are with your vehicle and maintenance. If you are the kind of guy who waits until you see a light on your dash, then you bring it to the respective service department, then I think you should keep the TPMS functional. If you are like me, and you a) maintain your vehicle meticulously, and b) check/replace things regularly without any reason to believe they are malfunctioning, then I would honestly pull the bulb out of the TPMS lamp.

All electronics fail eventually, so if it isn't mission-critical, I opt to eliminate it.

I went off your recommendation SixPonies, thanks!

I hope you are doing more than just looking at them. Visually checking a tire may not tell you it's under inflated. I doubt most people could recognize the difference between 35psi and 27psi by just looking at the tires. Typically by the time a tire is low enough to be visible it's well under the point where a TPMS system would trigger the light on the dash. You have already lost a significant load carrying capability by the time the dash light comes on.

maybe not but I can tell the difference between 44psi and 25psi using 4 of 5 of the human senses.....

I'm getting tire sensor faults periodically. I took it back into my tire guy, everything checks out ok. Any ideas??

Does the TPMS system expect the sensor to be present on the SPARE TIRE?

When I was looking thru Forscan I noticed there are PID's for the spare time on the TPMS system,....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't think so. When you train them there is only an option to do 4. you work your way around the 4 wheels and on the 4 it beeps and the display says tpms learned. I don't think there is a sensor in the spare.

Back