2008 Explorer transfer case swap

Xploderman

Reaction score
City, State
Prince Albert
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
Does anyone know if its been done and what model to use. Right now i have the
9L247A195AB or borg warner 4412 transfer case and I want to upgrade to a case without the auto engauge clutch pack. Mine is fried and the 4x4 is a no go and I want to get one that dosent have clutches in it ie 2wd 4x4 and 4lo case. Mine right now is auto 4x4 and 4lo any help would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you have 4412, I assume you have v8 ?
So you are looking to have a true 2wd - don't think anybody did that here.

Do you have AWD or [4x4 Auto | 4x4 High | 4x4] Low buttons ?

Out of curiosity, is only the auto-4x4 clutch-actuated, or is the selectable 4x4 also engaged using clutches? Sorry I can't answer your question.

Yes 4x4 runs through the clutch too. Im concidering ditching the clutches and welding her up will be a full time case then but i wont worry about the 4x4 not working lol. On that same note their must be a way to maching a engaugement slide collar to replace the clutches then all you would loose is auto but im fine with that

Mostly i wanna do it to get rid of the clutches even in 4x4 it slips right now so yes power goes through the clutches in any mode 4x4 just keeps them locked up all the time. A true 2wd would be a nice bennifit too

Back