• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lamp upgrade to led ?

mrcube07

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer sport trac
Hey guys I was wondering if there is any downsides of replacing the stock bulbs in the puddle lamps with LED's ?
Have any of you guys done it. If so how do they look?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did it. The LED bulbs are much brighter than the OEM incandescent bulbs.

Cool I just upgraded them and WOW 100% better It lights up the ground now. Next I ordered some LED fog lamps to complete the look when unlocking the truck at night.

Puddle lamps, dome lights, cargo bed lights, third brake light, fog lights, license plate lights can all be done without can bus errors. Good cheap upgrades...

What brand / part number are you guys using? I bought a couple of 194 LEDs for my license plate but they were way too big to fit.

there are different sizes for the 194 and the other size as well. I went to walmart and found the smallest sylvania LEDs that were 194. then popped the plastic housing off. they look awesome. i deff recommend replacing the fog lights with LEDs aswell other wise it looks weird with yellow and white. for the puddle use a razor blade to get the tab to unlock very easy. good luck

Its piddly I'll admit, but two things I noticed on my white sport trac when I changed the puddle lamps to LED. Whatever "temperature" LED bulbs I ended up with looked like fluorescent lights that you'd see in an office building, more blu'ish than white, which the white paint might be exaggerating.

Also, seems like with incandescent, the theater style slow fade off/on was 4-6 intensities, whereas the LED is 2-3 at most. I'll give you this though, they are way brighter than the incandescent.

I purchased a Recon rear cab light, all LED with a smoked lens. Most pitiful LED lights I've ever seen, brake and bed both suck. Terrible waste of $100. Only bought it because it was cheaper than OEM. Get what you pay for I guess.

Wrong forum

What about REVERSE BULBS and TAIL-LIGHTS....will LEDS throw an error ???

Reverse lights=no. Tail light bulbs=yes.

get bulbs that are CANBUS rated, OR you can also use a Resistor that tricks the CANBUS system (adds more electric current resistance to the line) but those can get toasty hot especially for lights that are on all the time like taillights and day times. recommend just getting CANBUS rated

"CANBUS" rated bulbs < no such thing (marketing gimmick), they have extra resistors on them and they also get hot

markers/signal 3157?? front and rear and headlights will throw errors only

for a 194 bulb you will need about 200mA of load to not get an error (ford sport trac will not check small bulbs, european vehicles in the same year vintage may, and maybe newer domestics)

bulbs do not talk on a Controlled Area Network Bus - the bulb driver (source) does and it is called SJB in our ford explorers, the only proper thing is to disable bulb check in SJB (don't know setting) or modify SJB current sense circuit for a pass at lower current.

Much better than stock I always use Lasfit led on My cars super bright and last a long time. They are on eBay also

Back