2016 Subwoofer Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Subwoofer Question

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Would the 2016 sony subwoofer be direct plug and play with the system in the XLT (i believe the 202)?
I searched through forums and got really confused as to the whole process.

All i'm looking to do is add the factory subwoofer and amp to my non sony system. Advice on things needed would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Also are the 2013-2015 subwoofers the same as the 2016? The shape seems to be identical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not add a after market sub and amp to your existing radio? It would be cheaper and you would be able to pick the sub/subs that match your needs.

Why not add a after market sub and amp to your existing radio? It would be cheaper and you would be able to pick the sub/subs that match your needs.

I wanted to fit the sub into the rear quarter panel enclosure as i don't see any other place that i can put it without some sort of compromise..
So i figured the stock sub amp, if a direct plugin would be ideal for now

Any resolution to this?

To the OP. It will not be plug and play especially in a non sony system.You can of course add a factory sub and use an aftermarket amp. (heck I'll sell you my 2016 Sub, it'll never be going back in). As I recall though the factory sub uses a weird ohm load like 1ohm dual voice coil which would need to be run in series to get the impedance up to something an aftermarket amp would drive.

Frankly you wouldn't want the factory sub anyway. It's pretty anemic, but better than nothing of course.

Thank you everyone for the help, looking into finding a good less expensive sub-amp pair.

Back