• Register Today It's free!

Driving 1,200 miles any tips?

Chris-1997

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Im going to be moving from Southern California to Washington which is around 1,200 miles. Ive changed almost all of the fluids and keep it up to par. Anything you wish you had or never thought you would need but then you needed it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure your spare is inflated...

Once, after I had my oil changed in my Explorer, and my Paseo, the place told me that the spares were way too low...

Im going to be driving from Southern California to Washington which is around 1,200 miles. Ive changed almost all of the fluids and keep it up to par. Anything you wish you had or never thought you would need but then you needed it?
An easy drive - probably much easier than driving around Southern California, unless the weather is nasty, and even then just mainly the curves in Shasta Lake area and crossing the Siskiyous on the CA/OR border. I would avoid getting there in the dark in bad weather, if possible. If it snows, chains may be required to cross the Siskiyous with 4x2 vehicles. Yours is probably 4x4 or AWD, so no problem, if the tires are good. How old is your battery? If it's seen better days, carry cables or better yet, an emergency battery. Make sure your wipers are in good condition and top your windshield washer fluid. Have fun and remember, no pumping your own gas in Oregon!

Some Oregonians can now pump their own gas by law. Check out this lady :snicker:

gSMlp.jpg

An easy drive - probably much easier than driving around Southern California, unless the weather is nasty, and even then just mainly the curves in Shasta Lake area and crossing the Siskiyous on the CA/OR border. I would avoid getting there in the dark in bad weather, if possible. If it snows, chains may be required to cross the Siskiyous with 4x2 vehicles. Yours is probably 4x4 or AWD, so no problem, if the tires are good. How old is your battery? If it's seen better days, carry cables or better yet, an emergency battery. Make sure your wipers are in good condition and top your windshield washer fluid. Have fun and remember, no pumping your own gas in Oregon!
Lots of useful info thanks! My vehicle was AWD till the previous owner removed the front driveshaft im just going to assume it's a bad transfer case. Battery is fine I actually have a small portable jumper that just works wonders I helped 2x people with it And no problems also fairly cheap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D42TYFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bWexAb4EPDJGN
Unfortunately wipers only work on high and they are really hard to get back to the starting position I've tried a lot to get them to work like replacing the fuse and the multifunction switch and looking at Washington weather I might have to really get it fixed worst case scenario I have to replace the motors but it just seems odd that both of them only work on high any insight on that problem would be great I use rain-x and it helps with light rain. Also I didn't know you could pump your own gas in Oregon I guess it helps creat more jobs am I supposed to tip them how does that work?

Typical things, check battery water level, hoses, belts, wipers, and any other mantenance that ought to have been done but hasn't been yet.

Wipers only working on high is probably either the GEM having a subcircuit fault or the steering column wiper lever itself failing.

"Some" Oregonians may now pump their own gas -- unfortunately only in remote rural areas, not anywhere along I-5. How does it work? Don't expect anything akin to what full service used to be: you do everything yourself, except sticking the snout in the filler neck. Expect an overworked high school dropout rushing from car to car, and when he finally gets to you, asking "how much?" That would be dollars not gallons, and you pay in advance (or stick your card in the machine). Tipping? I never did, but I guess the kid deserves it if he doesn't scratch your paint as he fumbles with the spout. In any case, don't let him mess with your gas cap if you still want it intact after the experience - do that yourself.
Do carry chains if your vehicle is effectively a 4x2 - just in case. And do take care of your wipers before taking off. There is a good chance you will be driving in the rain half the way (not just in WA), and much of it will be a drizzle, requiring the intermittent function to work.

I look at it this way. You probably go 3,000-5,000 miles (maybe more) between oil changes and never give much thought to whether your vehicle will break down during that interval. If you keep your vehicle maintained (sounds like you do) odds are you'll have no problem driving a mere highway 1,200 miles.

Before taking a road trip, Check your wiper blades, your fluids, belts and hoses. Check your tires and tire pressure. Make sure you have all your necessary paperwork with you. Check that all your lights are working (cops love to stop you for silly things like having one or two tag lights being out, just so they can check for drugs). Even if you may have nothing illegal in your vehicle it will waste a bunch of your time, cause unnecessary stress and piss you off.

Back