Lose Belt?

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Was doing so electric rewiring today. I put a new belt on a few months ago, and I think I know the answer to this but can someone confirm, it just go too dark for me to work. There are marks on the tensioner, is this the tightest it should be or is that the lose and replace mark? I’m pretty sure if I push down to remove the belt, that would indicate tight and the mark on the right would be time to replace? Just got too dark to keep messing with stuff.

3A1CFEAD-71E5-4A52-98EE-D724D58F9A0D.jpeg

It looks like it's towards the tight end to me, but yeah I could have it backwards and it depends on which way the pulley rotates down. I usually go by how much deflection you can "easily" push the belt, in the middle of the longest stretch between two pulleys...

1" or more (some will say even less like 1/2") and it's time to replace the tensioner if the belt isn't very old/stretched. Also watch for a lot of belt flutter while it's running, which could indicate a weak or seized tensioner.

Pulley UP is increasing tension, down presses against the belt, so that looks tight to me. Check it with then engine running. It usually bounces around a bit, but it may relax a bit after running. Are you 100% sure you're fully seated in all the pulleys? Sometimes you can be off a rib and that makes the belt too tight.

I've noticed (judging from the part numbers on belts) that some manufactures belts (spec'd to fit our engines) are slightly longer or shorter than others (1/4" maybe). I always buy Dayco belts and have never had an issue.

If the belt is too tight, or to loose, it may make a clunking noise as the tensioner hits against its stops. As long as it's not clunking it's probably fine.

Its tight I was just trying to learn to read the marks. I'm chasing down a charging/ground/electrical issue and just covering all the basics.

I can't see the marks unless I take the fan and shroud off, but now I have a leak so its coming off anyways.

Back