Hanger Bearing/ Carrier Bearing 2008 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hanger Bearing/ Carrier Bearing 2008

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
Anyone have any experience changing one on the drive shaft on a 08? Will the 01 to 07 fit? I have seen it listed as fitting up to a 2010, but most sites claim it only fits to 07. For 50 bucks on rock auto I will probably take a chance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update?

Got it. Looks the same. Haven't changed it as the u joint was causing the noise. That and a front wheel bearing. The rubber is on its way out, so probably this summer.

damn. i guess i might wait for you to do yours, i am curios as my center bearing just went and its noticeable. and i do not want to damage the transfer case with it being so loose, or have the thing shake my car loose

Check your u joints. The rear was missing half the pins on one side when I changed it. That was 90% of the problem. The bearing is still good on the carrier on ours. The rubber is all cracked up but mostly there. Small hole at the top.

how did you check yours? i am going to put the truck up on jack stands and put it in neutral, then what? Really hope its this instead of the center bearing.

*my center bearing rubber is ripped 80% the last 20 % is the bottom. so the hole shaft has about 1.25 inches of vertical play and 1 inch of horizontal play. and because the way the rubber ripped it is not being suspended in the middle its sitting on the bottom bit of rubber. when that puppy is spinning at highway speed i can only imagine what it looks like under there.

Gotta pull the drive shaft to be sure. Good thing is you can change the carrier while you are in there. I do believe the part number on the drive shaft was the same for first Nd second gen so the carrier should work. They look exactly the same. With that much rubber gone you would be best off to replace it.

Back