• Register Today It's free!

New old exploder

Supercracker

Reaction score
City, State
Nor cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 exploder
So about 2 weeks ago me and the wife picked up her "new" old exploder. (Was her first car or else i wouldn't have bothered. Damn sentimental value) This thing runs so rough and shakes like micheal j fox on crack. Im not even exaggerating a little bit. But picked the x up and it already had fuel pump,coil pack,plugs,wires,alternator and new battery. Cleaned the hell out of the mount the coil pack sits on and even tried a proven good unit and almost no change. Any tips or advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So about 2 weeks ago me and the wife picked up her "new" old exploder. (Was her first car or else i wouldn't have bothered. Damn sentimental value) This thing runs so rough and shakes like micheal j fox on crack. Im not even exaggerating a little bit. But picked the x up and it already had fuel pump,coil pack,plugs,wires,alternator and new battery. Cleaned the hell out of the mount the coil pack sits on and even tried a proven good unit and almost no change. Any tips or advice?

make sure the plugs are wired in the correct firing order.

I placed them in the same spot they came from. Suppose its possible someone did it wrong before i got the truck. But front 2 om left side standing infrpnt of the truck and middle on other side have weak spark. Almost no difference on left and slightly noticable difference on right when i pull them at idle

Goin to use my buddys snap on scanner tomorrow to see what all is going on with it. Sprayed some carb cleaner at it but not enough in the can to be thorough as id like to be. I havent hooked up a gauge but seems ample enough when it shoots out of the schrader valve when its running. Somewhat sure its not a regulator since no fuel comes from the vaccum line going to it

Smells and runs REALLY rich and has absolutely no power. Ruling put vaccum leak for now but will check in the morning

Smells and runs REALLY rich and has absolutely no power. Ruling put vaccum leak for now but will check in the morning
Watch for misfires and head cracks.

I placed them in the same spot they came from. Suppose its possible someone did it wrong before i got the truck. But front 2 om left side standing infrpnt of the truck and middle on other side have weak spark. Almost no difference on left and slightly noticable difference on right when i pull them at idle

When I changed my spark plug wires, I thought I put them in exact order as the were before. Nope. I had to dig online for the correct order :rant:

Well we got the truck for free,but that doesnt meam i wanna do the heads on it lol hoping to get pointed in the right direction after double checking a few things and scanning it

Well we got the truck for free,but that doesnt meam i wanna do the heads on it lol hoping to get pointed in the right direction after double checking a few things and scanning it
Yes, definitely get it checked out. We can only guess. But there are very inexpensive, non-invasive options if it head is cracked, my truck is living proof!

Check that your spark plug wires are in the correct order. Very common mistake and will make an engine run like crap and run very rough.

Ive searched for it doing that and dont see it. Almost want to say it doesnt have one. But that cant be possible?

Wires are in correct order. Ive heard talk on the old interwebz that maybe a bad coolant temp semsor could cause an issue like mine. Is tgere a way to check it besides visually?

Call larger auto parts stores in your area for free trouble code reading. Regardless whether the check engine light is working or not, or the battery was disconnected clearing the codes, they will be stored in memory IF there are any. IF any are found, write down the "P0" code NUMBERS and post them.

OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to have my buddy scan it with his snap on scanner tonight hopefully and pull codes if amy and check the live stream on each cylinder and try to get some direction here

Back