Failure of the lumbar support.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
For a long time, I could not expand my lumbar support on my driver seat. I could hear the engine spinning but nothing was happening. Last weekend I devoted to catch up with the interior works on my 06, including the front door panels, but I also went to fix the back support.
I took it apart last week to inspect the mechanism, and how it works. I verified that the little motor gets power, but it does not drive the cable for the metal accordion piece. Upon opening the gear box, I found the following:

IMG_8041_zps5cfuysva.jpg

All the planetary gears were in pieces.
IMG_8043_zpsuwoxjsjo.jpg

Since you can't buy just that, you need to buy the whole assembly which runs about $ 150 from Ford. Luckily, there was one on eBay that I snatched for $ 50. What a difference it makes.

Also, the old one was cracked so it was time anyway:

IMG_8062_zpsbhi98ppi.jpg

IMG_8063_zpsr1f9mwhp.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the excellent write-up and photos. I have been searching for power lumbar photos and fix for a long time. My power lumbar is toast too... same problem, I suspect.

How hard was it to take the seat back apart? I've never dealt with upholstery. The hog rings and side airbags give me a little anxiety. Is it doable? My seats are in great condition, and I don't want to mess them up.

I did not take the seat apart. You need to remove the plastic side trim with the controls and free up the loops holding the upper seat cover to the seat frame. There are few plastic pins, and you need to loosen up two 15 mm bolts I believe. Then I just rolled up the leather, had to use some force to do it. I think I had to cut one or two of the bottom loops but it does not affect it much or not at all when I rolled it down and put it back together.

Thank you very much! I will give it a try after I get the part.

So, I had the exact same issue - heard click when I pressed the button, but no action.

I'm on a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer - so things were a bit different for access to the motor:
QZSI9355.JPG

- Remove plastic shroud (buttons first)
- Remove 2 bolts on driver side for the seat back
- Release hook and latch fabric wrap over the seat back
- Pull fabric back as hard as I could to see inside (laying upside down in the backseat) - not the most ergonomic
- Cut out the zip tie holding motor in place
- This allowed me to pull motor down and unplug it
- Once I took it apart, I found the same broken gear issue as the original poster
IMG_5449.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG

- The images from the poster were really helpful, so I took a few of my own to add to the conversation that helped me.
- A few of the gears were bent and no longer circular...but in looking at the gear, I was convinced that I needed a standard circular spur gear.
- I was able to model and print 3D versions in ABS plastic
- they are posted on thingiverse.com and you can print your own. Search under - "2006 Mercury Mountaineer Lumbar support gears"
IMG_5451.JPG
IMG_5452.JPG

- I've tested it all together and it works correctly. I haven't put a load on them yet, my wife has her car out of town...but I'm expecting it all to work based on my testing.
- Hope this helps someone else!

// Pictures below

For a long time, I could not expand my lumbar support on my driver seat. I could hear the engine spinning but nothing was happening. Last weekend I devoted to catch up with the interior works on my 06, including the front door panels, but I also went to fix the back support.
I took it apart last week to inspect the mechanism, and how it works. I verified that the little motor gets power, but it does not drive the cable for the metal accordion piece. Upon opening the gear box, I found the following:

IMG_8041_zps5cfuysva.jpg

All the planetary gears were in pieces.
IMG_8043_zpsuwoxjsjo.jpg

Since you can't buy just that, you need to buy the whole assembly which runs about $ 150 from Ford. Luckily, there was one on eBay that I snatched for $ 50. What a difference it makes.

Also, the old one was cracked so it was time anyway:

IMG_8062_zpsbhi98ppi.jpg

IMG_8063_zpsr1f9mwhp.jpg

that sure is a cute little planetary gear set

So, I had the exact same issue - heard click when I pressed the button, but no action.

I'm on a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer - so things were a bit different for access to the motor:View attachment 171964

- Remove plastic shroud (buttons first)
- Remove 2 bolts on driver side for the seat back
- Release hook and latch fabric wrap over the seat back
- Pull fabric back as hard as I could to see inside (laying upside down in the backseat) - not the most ergonomic
- Cut out the zip tie holding motor in place
- This allowed me to pull motor down and unplug it
- Once I took it apart, I found the same broken gear issue as the original poster
View attachment 171961 View attachment 171960
- The images from the poster were really helpful, so I took a few of my own to add to the conversation that helped me.
- A few of the gears were bent and no longer circular...but in looking at the gear, I was convinced that I needed a standard circular spur gear.
- I was able to model and print 3D versions in ABS plastic
- they are posted on thingiverse.com and you can print your own. Search under - "2006 Mercury Mountaineer Lumbar support gears"
View attachment 171962 View attachment 171963
- I've tested it all together and it works correctly. I haven't put a load on them yet, my wife has her car out of town...but I'm expecting it all to work based on my testing.
- Hope this helps someone else!

// Pictures below
Hey Jason,

Have you by any chance still got the original file ? I cant find your entry on thingiverse, it must have been taken down!

Looking to 3D print these gears and try them out on my own motor since i have the same issue!

Thanks in advance!

Back