zoom zoom 96 explorer gas pedal stuck! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

zoom zoom 96 explorer gas pedal stuck!

eric mentzer

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4 door 4wd
greetings, 1996 explorer 87k miles. was snowy in pa today so i wanted to see if the 4WD auto actually engaged the front end as this is new to me. Hit a back road (no trees just cornfields) noone in sight so i slammed the accelerator and it took off, nice torque. Was about 3 k rpm pulling hard and i let off and it stayed at 3k rpm approximately roaring like hell with my foot off the pedal. instinctivly i hit the brake until i realized what was wrong, hit the gas pedal twice and it released. Dont want this to happen again, especially near civilization. Do i need to lubricate it or something? it was freezing past few days could moisture have been inside from the snow? e brake lever was kicking moisture in when i released it. Thanks guy. first time for me was kinda crazy zoom zoom exploders lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

floor mat, how embarassing! sorry to spam it up .

That used to happen to me in an old beater sedan with vinyl mats, in cold weather they'd curl up and I'd take them inside, soften them with a hair dryer and try to sort out the curl but it just kept coming back.

I ended up drilling a starter hole through the floor, shot a dab of silicone caulking into the hole, put a pan head screw through the end of the mat in the curling problem area, then coated the threads behind the mat with more caulking, then screwed it down to the floor. I suppose I could've bought new mats instead but just wanted an immediate, cheap fix.

I'm lucky. My '01 EB still had the factory carpeted mats (which were still in perfect condition) when I got it. They have the grommet that hooks to the floor and never move around. Not to mess them up (GA red clay will stain anything) I keep clear plastic mats on top of them. Seems dumb, what/who an I saving them for?

My '01 ST has the full rubber floor (no carpeting) but it came with the factory extremely durable woven mats, which also have the grommets to hold them in place. I haven't bothered to do anything to them in at least a year. Basically you can just shake them out and hose the dirt off them.

My daughter's '00 Mountaineer just has rubber Walmart mats in it. Every time you get in it you have to adjust the mat, which is annoying. With the way she maintains the appearance of her vehicle, I probably should just screw them to the floor at this point.

i remember there was some problem years back where the gas pedal bracket support welds would break off, repair was with rivets or bolts. I think the problem was no gas pedal, not stuck. May have been a recall for a few runs.

i remember there was some problem years back where the gas pedal bracket support welds would break off, repair was with rivets or bolts. I think the problem was no gas pedal, not stuck. May have been a recall for a few runs.

Yeah, we still see a post on this subject from time to time. IIRC we had one recently.

I had my pedal recalled in my last Mounty before I got it. The bolted also worked loose and the pedal fell off. It was 5 degrees, and night, so I drove it home by holding the pedal in my hand, and pulling on the whole thing.

I had an Old's Delta 88 that had the gas pedal come off to the point of being unusable from the bracket bolts backing out.

Nobody had ever touched them so apparently they weren't factory tightened enough... weren't rusty or anything, though it did take years for them to come loose. I just tightened them back up, never had a problem with them again.

Back