• Register Today It's free!

Starter issues

Mumbl3s

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So I'm in the process of putting the 4slow back in my explorer, and before I start dumping the fluids back in ive tried turning the engine over. Well I'm getting a single click from the solenoid relay (just to clarify not the one attached to the motor but the one on the body) i got the starter motor tested and it's fine, i switched batteries, and I've tried a new relay still just one click.

I've heard people having issues with cable but before I drop $45 on a new cable (I'm strapped for cash because of the government shutdown) i wanted to get people's opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try shorting across solenoid on starter if that works it's the trigger wire
roscoe

Yeah I got nothing, on the relay I got it to click from shorting the S post to the power cable(big wire) but not from the power cable to the trigger(small wire)

Roscoe meant you short from the battery lead to the starter lead. Both should be heavy gauge wires. If it turns over, then your solenoid is likely bad. Have you verified voltage? I know you said you tried a different battery, but it is possible that you are not getting enough voltage.

Good luck.
- Joe

I've verified voltage I'm getting about 12.8. I just jumped it directly from the battery to the starter, when I'm just jumping the positive post to the starter it does nothing but when I hook up the ground it turns over.

This mean I have a bad chassis ground connection?

I've verified voltage I'm getting about 12.8. I just jumped it directly from the battery to the starter, when I'm just jumping the positive post to the starter it does nothing but when I hook up the ground it turns over.

This mean I have a bad chassis ground connection?

When you hook up ground to where? To the block? You could unhook the positive lead from the battery and check resistance (ohms) between the negative battery terminal and the starter chassis. It should be close to zero. If I remember correctly, the negative cable goes from the battery, then has a lug that connects to the frame, then bolts to the block or bellhousing.

If you have a helper, have him/her turn the ignition to "crank" while you hold a voltmeter between the starter B+ and ground. Try the solenoid on the fender first. The battery side lug on the solenoid should have VERY close to battery voltage at all times. The starter lug (heavy gauge lead from the fender solenoid to the starter) should have zero voltage with the key off, but it should have very close to battery voltage when you turn the ignition to "crank". If that checks out, then move to the starter. Verify that the hot (solenoid controlled) lead is getting close to battery voltage when you turn the ignition to "crank".

Let me know what you find out.

Good luck!
- Joe

So I found out the issue, the ground cable(attatched to the battery) was smashed where it was connected to the frame so it didn't connect to the engine. Replaced it and it turned right over

Back