• Register Today It's free!

TPS sensor failure

XLTyler83

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 Loaded
Hello everyone, yesterday was a normal day for my truck first school then out to lunch, upon leaving I didn't look at the dash upon startup but when I went to merge on the highway I quickly noticed Wrench light on, idle at 600 RPM, and gas pedal was very unresponsive Aka limp mode after pulling back into the parking lot I cut the truck off and then on again after about 15 minutes and after driving home yesterday and a trip to the gym today I cant get it to reoccur the mechanic I trust isn't open on weekends but ill be dropping it off Monday. I've done some research on here and I believe it to be the TPS Sensor (Throttle position sensor). Has anyone replaced this and how easy is
It to get on the throttle body. This can also be a heads up as preventative maintenance for others I about $#!+ myself when I pulled onto the highway and couldn't give it gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone, yesterday was a normal day for my truck first school then out to lunch, upon leaving I didn't look at the dash upon startup but when I went to merge on the highway I quickly noticed Wrench light on, idle at 600 RPM, and gas pedal was very unresponsive Aka limp mode after pulling back into the parking lot I cut the truck off and then on again after about 15 minutes and after driving home yesterday and a trip to the gym today I cant get it to reoccur the mechanic I trust isn't open on weekends but ill be dropping it off Monday. I've done some research on here and I believe it to be the TPS Sensor (Throttle position sensor). Has anyone replaced this and how easy is
It to get on the throttle body. This can also be a heads up as preventative maintenance for others I about $#!+ myself when I pulled onto the highway and couldn't give it gas.
@XLTyler83
'04 was first year for Drive by Wire Throttle Body. As such, Ford perceived the possibility of disastrous consequences in certain instances, such as the Japanese cars in early 2000s experienced. So, the made the system idiot-proof. Anything goes wrong, it shuts you down, basically. Need to know if codes are thrown (they gotta be, to get the wrench and Limp Mode).

TPS a strong possibility, followed by Throttle Plate Drive Motor. Check both for loose harness connections before anything else. There is a separate plug for each.

Thanks for the advice imp though i hoped it was only a loose connection I found it wasn't and took it to local mechanic turned out it needs a whole new throttle body parts and labor gonna set me back about 320$ getting it replaced with a ford part

Current mileage is 127k I hope the new throttle body will last 127 more

Current mileage is 127k I hope the new throttle body will last 127 more
@XLTyler83
That's about what mine cost, and I installed it myself, not Ford part. Make certain he gives you what he claims. I believe it says "Ford" on my original TB in several places. imp

Back