1994 Limited Ford Explorer with 4x4 issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Limited Ford Explorer with 4x4 issues

John Morley

Reaction score
City, State
JOSHUA TREE
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Explorer 4x4
Hello,

About ready to pull the rest of my hair out. lol Pushing the buttons I can hear everything click and the lights on those buttons work. I put it in 4H and then into neutral and than 4L... I can feel and hear it go into 4L but it is not working because I can't climb hills like I could last week and my back wheels dig in. I've check the 4x4 computer in the right rear wheel well and that flashes 4 times. My hubs look good to me but could I be missing something?

I took the shiftmotor out and the plastic cushen was cracked down one side and is now in two pieces. Can someone tell me what size hose brian used or where can I purchase this plastic cushen?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't find anything on size... I suppose I would look at the pictures, compare the size of the screw to the bumper and go from there. For a quick test, you could shift the transfer case by hand just to be sure it is indeed the shift motor and not something else.

The shift motors are a weak link, the brushes etc, and grease hardening from old age. They run about $75 new, but can be rebuilt for little to nothing. I'd go through the shift motor first, it needs it whether it's the problem or not.

I still have my old 93 dash, if any parts of it could be usable still.

From your description, I suspect your hubs may also be partly the issue. Here's a good link that might help diagnose things: 4x4 Troubleshooting guide

The shift motors are a weak link, the brushes etc, and grease hardening from old age. They run about $75 new, but can be rebuilt for little to nothing. I'd go through the shift motor first, it needs it whether it's the problem or not.

I still have my old 93 dash, if any parts of it could be usable still.
Yesterday I took the shift motor apart and right away the wire that is mounted to the carbon brush fell out. This could have been a short causing it not to work in 4H. When I put it in 4L it seemed to work properly as it held me back just fine but to climb it would not pull.

I couldn't find anything on size... I suppose I would look at the pictures, compare the size of the screw to the bumper and go from there. For a quick test, you could shift the transfer case by hand just to be sure it is indeed the shift motor and not something else.
I will give that a try. Thank you!

Damn. Three years later with the follow up. That’s commitment!

Back