just introducing myself and my plans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just introducing myself and my plans

djdrews4357

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer 4.6l
hi my name is david and i have a 2005 ford explorer 4.6l her name is sally which i have had for a little over a year and a half now i have had big plans since i bought her because of it having a somewhat of a mustang engine in it
before i get into the mods i want to do
i know the 5r55s isnt the best tranny but that should hopefully be upgraded or replaced
so the list of upgrades i have done are:
double platinum spark plugs
k&n airfilter
and a cherry bomb glasspack 23 inch( and it sounds pretty good)

i have had big plans for this since i bought it back in July of 2016
first off i want to make as much power n/a as possible while passing NYS emissions testing

mods / upgrades
first mod i want to try and do is put an x pipe on her if possible i think it is but that spare tire looks to be in the way of any passenger side exhaust exit

second mod is i want to upgrade the front and rear diffs to limited slip and either put 3.27-3.33 or 4.10 ratio gears
the reason for the lower ratios is for the hope of better fuel efficiency idk that much about cars so if i sound stupid in this post its mostly because these are just dreams i have for the car

third mod is hopefully a stroker kit and somewhat of a built engine

4th mod is a fully built engine that can hopefully withstand at least 700 hp

5th mod is a built trans im thinking of going with the level10 5r55s 1000 hp bulletproof kit

then the 6th and final mod if im still not happy with the power i have, is a positive displacement supercharger or centrifugal supercharger the plan is to only run like 1-2 lbs of boost at first then bump it as needed along with beefy fuel injectors and probably a dual fuel pump setup

the whole plan for my 3rd gen is to make 500+ whp

i will be posting updates on the forum and to youtube as i do these upgrades / mods to sally

all the parts i need havent been selected as i am looking for a 07-11 crown vic pi to drive while i work on the explorer and because im in cc debit from college so once i get my financials in check i can start the long process of finding and buying parts
then it starts the crown vic project which would be the same as the explorer for mods

Sounds like a fun build. You should start a build thread for it in the modified 3rd gen subforum:chug:

3.27s and 4.10s are about as far away as you can get ratio wise. 700hp seems a little steep, especially if you are trying to do it NA. Also, 1-2 pounds of boost is pointless, and if you are going for all out performance start with the supercharger( or turbo). I don’t know that I’d ever consider dropping $15,000+ on a third gen Explorer.

Welcome to this forum! Did you look into getting a custom tune with nitrous?

Back