Stereo Problem - Protect Mode - HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Problem - Protect Mode - HELP!!

GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
So I know this probably isn’t the best place to ask, but I just got a brand new kenwood stereo from Walmart about 3 months ago and Having problems, I got in the explorer this morning and I try to listen to my phone but there was a message that said “requiring check wiring” so I was wondering what happened, so I drive to work and when I get to work I try it again and this time it says “protecting send service” and I really don’t know now, I reset it and nothing, and I just took a little look at the wiring and there were no loose wires. I have yet to try cutting the speaker wires, I might try that tomorrow, anybody have my idea? Thanks!
P.S. sorry this really isn’t 100% explorer related but I hope I can get help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd consult the manual to see if it offers any hints, maybe somehow the faceplate is loose and tripped the theft circuit so it needs a code entered, or try removing power by unplugging the harness in the back or disconnecting the vehicle battery for a couple minutes.

One of the speaker wires are probably grounding out or crossed with another. I'd check door speakers and recent stereo wiring install.

If it's a speaker wire, I'd first look at those in the doors since they flex every time the door is opened. Then again depending on the wiring job to install the new stereo, something could have gone wrong there, bad wire crimp that didn't hold or whatever.

So today I cut all of the speaker wirings and made sure they were touching, all that was connected to the stereo was the power cables. I reset it and it didnt work. So right now my old one is back in until I can figure this out!

So today I cut all of the speaker wirings and made sure they were touching, all that was connected to the stereo was the power cables. I reset it and it didnt work. So right now my old one is back in until I can figure this out!

You made sure they weren't touching? If I understand the situation correctly, it seems most likely you have a blown output transistor in the amp stage, which may be covered under warranty.

However that might mean you have to send it to a Kenwood authorized service center. IIRC Walmart has a 90 day return policy. You wrote about 3 months ago you got it. If it's still within 90 days I'd try taking it to Walmart for exchange or refund ASAP.

Back