ABS and Traction Control with Weak Horn: Related? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS and Traction Control with Weak Horn: Related?

benman

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury Mountaineer
2007 Mountaineer awd premier v8

A few months ago, I started having the ABS/Traction Control/Wrench light issue that others have talked about here. It was intermittent -- only occasionally. At the same time, I noticed that sometimes when I locked the car, the horn sounded weak, like it was being smothered with a pillow.

Long story short: through luck and trial and error, I found that the horn was weak when the ABS and Traction Control lights came on and worked fine when those lights were off.

I did check the tone rings on the back -- no problem. I never did look into it further since it was intermittent and I couldn't find anything conclusive on here.

Now the dash lights and weak horn are a problem all of the time.

Can anyone think of a reason these issues would be related? I was wondering if they shared a ground and that was an issue, but I don't know where to look. It has warmed up here for a day, so I thought I'd look this afternoon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How old is your battery? A weak/old battery can cause all kinds of weird, unrelated electrical gremlins.

Battery is only 2.5 years old. Would checking output with a multimeter find if it's a problem that would cause such things?

Battery is only 2.5 years old. Would checking output with a multimeter find if it's a problem that would cause such things?

Stop by Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, or some other chain auto parts store and ask them to run a free electrical system diagnosis. It might tell you if the battery or something else in the system is bad.

Sounds like a ground issue....
Watch this,

Back