Long Time Explorer Owener | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long Time Explorer Owener

why does Ford design the Explorer like they do?

• Do owners request design changes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do Engineers believe this is what the owner wants.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Traveller13

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 xlt
Hi Everyone, I am a Long time Explorer owner.
1996 for 6 years
2003 for 9 years
and now into a 2015 for over 2 years. Ya, it has taken awhile to join!
Ford has been very good to my family. Travelling all across both Canada and the US.
Why I have joined at this point is to find out more about why other owners buy Explorers and to find out why Ford designs the Explorer like they do!

I think it has more to do with what the "Bean counters" want and not what the engineers want. Bean counters rely on "study groups".

Ford sent teams of engineers with Serious Explorations on three separate events. They had a range of questions to ask the owners of the Explorers they were driving along in. Many in our groups told them we wanted manual shift transfer cases, selectable lockers, onboard air supply, on board 110v inverter etc.

When we got back from one of the trips I got a call from the lead engineer who put the run together for Ford. She asked me to verify the names, occupations, and phone numbers of our members who had attended. The reason was that Ford's "bean counters" refused to believe that the majority of attendees were professionals in the business world and not just beer guzzling, tear up the terrain Jeeper types.

We had a scientist with a doctorate, computer programmers, and various business owners.

At the time, Ford was looking into building a "Jeep Eater", those were their words. Unfortunately that was before the Firestone tire / Ford Explorer rollover fiasco which lasted about a decade. Once the Ford Explorer became synonymous with roll over accidents, we never heard about their "Jeep Eater" project again.

Fast forward 18 years.. and now, finally Ford is talking about bringing back the Bronco which we all hope WILL be the "Jeep Eater" they alluded to nearly two decades ago.

Our three events with FOMOCO:

Ford Explorer Truck Haven 2000 Salton City California Page 1

Mt Anterro Monarch Pass Salida Colorado Ford Explorer Fall Colors Run

Gemini Bridges Gold Bar Rim Ford Explorer Moab 2000

Back