'02 Oil Filter Adapter o-ring change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Oil Filter Adapter o-ring change

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
For those who have replaced the leaking o-rings on the oil filter adapter of the '02 4.0l engines, do both exhaust manifolds have to be removed? Or just the R/H one that blocks the removal of the adapter from the block?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the right hand only on the two I have done. It is a pain, prelube the bolts and take your time to try and not break anything.

N2FORD. Thanks. I've been putting this "project" off for a year or so. If it warms up I "plan" on CAREFULLY attacking this job. MY plan is to: Throughly clean the engine bay area/transmission area (I keep things clean anyways). Jack up the front end and remove the R/H tire. Remove the R/H fender liner/plastic splash guard. SOAK any and all bolts/nuts/hardware with Kroll/ Rust Buster or the like as soon as I get the fore mentioned items done. I've gathered up the replacement gaskets (exhaust system) and o-rings (adapter).

What I'm not sure of is how much "stuff" of the exhaust system I have to remove to access the oil filter/adapter? Obviously the r/h exhaust manifold has to come off. This means the nuts retaining the manifold to the head AND the 2 bots/nuts retaining the manifold to the 1st piece of exhaust tubing which may (if I recall) also house a O2 sensor. I don't know if I can extract the manifold ONLY or if I have to remove that 1st piece of exhaust tubing also....which means taking the bolts/nuts out of the flange that the 1st piece of exhaust tubing AND the L/H cross over tube meet together as they bolt up to the converter. UGGGG.

Any input of what you did would be greatly appreciated.

If I recall correct I had to take the exhaust loose on both sides. I then pulled it toward the back with a ratchet strap to help clear the exhaust manifolds. I think there was an egr pipe also to remove, it was a pain. I hope you got the correct o-ring kit, I got mine from Ford.

N2FORD. All my replacement parts are FORD. Question. From reading the various posts here on the forum about pull these engines out of the S/T's I am confused about the head to manifold bolts/nuts/studs.

I ASSUME that the hardware retaining the manifold to the heads are "funny" looking studs that screw into the (aluminum ?) heads. Then a special nut secures the manifold to the head. From what I'm reading "typically" the nut/stud unscrew from the head.

Am I uncorrect about this? I've done very few engine removals/installs in my life (64yo) and those engines had steel heads with screwed in steel studs. The studs for the most part stayed "locked" (rusted) into the head and the nuts retaining the manifold are removed to pull the manifold.

Thanks,

ptf18

Again if my memory serves me correct, it's metal nuts on metal studs into aluminum heads. Some of the nuts come off the studs and some stay on the studs and come out with the stud. Hope that helps. Getting the exhaust lined back up was the hardest part of the hole job.

N2 FORD. Thanks. I'll keep you all posted.

Back