In the market for V8 EB 4WD (AWD) need pointers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the market for V8 EB 4WD (AWD) need pointers

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
I am about to upgrade from my 1999 EB V8, and while looking at the offerings at Autotrader, CarGurus, etc, I get confused about the steering wheel buttons.
What I want:
Brown (Basically a French Grey, whatever Ford calls it) EB - white if I can't find brown
The standard tan leather interior - none of that black on tan or grey on tan stuff.
Sun roof
Class III tow package (Class II would not necessarily a deal-breaker)
auto climate WITH control buttons on the steering wheel
nav system (although I would gladly buy one w/o and install aftermarket, but would that work with steering wheel buttons?)
Bank says it has to be 2008 or newer
Third row seating (but no power)
Don't mind the power running boards as long as it is easy to remove and replace with nurfs when they eventually fail

So, my main questions are, it seems like they ALL have the radio controls in the steering wheel, correct?
And did the auto climate steering wheel control buttons go away after 2007? I can't seem to find any examples.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2007 EB does not have the controls on the steering wheel and it has manual climate controls. I can't say for certain but I'm almost sure there are 2008 models with those controls. You just haven't found one yet. It wasn't standard on the EB - look at some limiteds.

As for the buttons with an aftermarket stereo the answer is yes as long as you get a compatible one along with a harness for it. Any stereo shop worth it’s weight can get that done for you.

So, what does it mean when there is no phone button on the bottom right?
2e1089eeeae04abbbc3e96e87ae88a8c.jpg

Yeah, but I think almost all of them have the radio controls. What's harder to find is the climate controls

You'll want to look for the Limited edition. More common on those.

Yep, Explorer-Limited, or Mountaineer-Premier.
Don't overlook the Mounty. Similarly equipped, they are typically cheaper to buy (ask me how I know).
The Mounty being sold at Lincoln/Mercury dealers, a higher percentage of them will have the better option packages that you want. Unfortunately, if it has steering wheel control for everything (like you want), it will probably also have power-folding 3rd row seats.

Yep, Explorer-Limited, or Mountaineer-Premier.
Don't overlook the Mounty. Similarly equipped, they are typically cheaper to buy (ask me how I know).
The Mounty being sold at Lincoln/Mercury dealers, a higher percentage of them will have the better option packages that you want. Unfortunately, if it has steering wheel control for everything (like you want), it will probably also have power-folding 3rd row seats.

Thanks to all for the responses! I do not care for the looks of the Mounty or the Limited. I really like the EB. So the question becomes, how hard is it to add climate controls to the steering wheel, provided that the truck I will buy WILL have the auto climate control. I have already found the replacement buttons on PartsGeek.

From my personal experience:
The power boards can be replaced with factory fixed ones from a salvage yard in less than an hour.
The class 2 hitch can be cut out and replaced with a factory bolt on class 3 in few hours
Aftermarket head unit can be programmed to the wheel controls.

Done that all on our 2 EBs.

Thanks to all for the responses! I do not care for the looks of the Mounty or the Limited. I really like the EB. So the question becomes, how hard is it to add climate controls to the steering wheel, provided that the truck I will buy WILL have the auto climate control. I have already found the replacement buttons on PartsGeek.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like the Mountaineer has the worlds 2nd worst looking front end. Not sure though why you feel that way about the Limited? Isn't the only difference the lower trim paint and a bit more chrome accents?

The grill is different also - the XLT and Limited share a grill - the EB has a different grill.

As you can see in the second pic, yes, the option with the auto climate control is there, but, no, the redundant steering wheel controls are not there. The buttons on the left are cruise control, on the right are radio/media. The climate control buttons would be below the button sets on both left and right. Fan speed on the left, temp + & - on the right.

You peaked my curiosity. I found a 2008 brochure and no mention is made of climate controls on the steering wheel. A picture of the wheel is in the brochure - no controls even though it has auto climate control. Every picture in a brochure usually shows all available options. Looking at a 2007 brochure they are in the picture and specifically called out in the options. Do a Google search for '2008 ford explorer brochure' and you will see. I do believe it did get dropped in 2008.

If that's true, I'm never selling my '06! Love the climate controls on the steering wheel!

My wife's expedition (2010) has it also. Maybe just dropped for Explorers?

Back