MrMaafa12619

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0
1996-Ford-Explorer-XLT-8-8-12.jpg
hey guys and Dolls I am new to the forum and guest what I need some help

I just brought this car a little while ago and it was running fine and suddenly and start starting up roughly and it's misfiring and bucking. I just don't know what to do unfortunately I am homeless and trying to get back on my feet so I can find more work that I couldn't find by taking the bus. So I'm doing the best that I can right now; (Lease I am trying).

I changed out the EGR valve and I am still getting a misfire code on 4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First suspect would be plugs and wires.

^ yup pull plug on #4 cylinder which is the first cylinder closes to you on the right side of engine if your looking at it standing at the front of the vehicle, could be a cracked plug happened to me and other people I know which replaced everything else under the sun before realizing it was just a cracked spark plug. Start with the simple stuff first.

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem, 1995 explorer, was running fine. Got spark plugs and fuel filter changed. That mechanic advised to get the MAP sensor changed.
Last week there was an engine sound very loud whenever it is idling and when i accelerate - it is fine. Takes at least 3 cranks to start every time.
Went to NAPA yesterday and they said cylinder # 3 misfire, spark plugs and ignition coil tested ok, failed leakage test. Power is 75psi for that cylinder. I told him to shut the cylinder and he said can't do as oil spill on the spark plugs. While returning home, it stopped in the middle of the road.Waited for 5 minutes and it started. A mile later died again. Called NAPA and told them about this. They came and in the power distribution box removed something and it was fine after that. I do not know what that was.

It is time for engine rebuild? Or what should I do with it now?

Not sure what you mean by ‘power’ is 75 psi for the cylinder, but if you mean the compression is 75, than you have something majorly wrong with the motor. Finding out what they removed will be needed to figure out what they did. I assuming it’s not running currently?

To the OP, I would say Plugs/Wires would be a good start.

It used to run until 2 days. Only cranks now and no starts. Today it started, covered 2 miles. Tried starting again and no start. Aother mechanic checked- plug, cables, fuel filter- all working fine. What next?

Is the motor low on compression? That’s where you start.

Back