• Register Today It's free!

Front Unit Bearing Brands?

Aogmitch

Reaction score
City, State
Snohomish, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Ltd
I have a 1999 Limited 5.0 AWD with 130k. Started getting a loud growl from the front end a few months back that is getting louder. Turning to the left quiets it down. Straight and to the right stays noisy.
I am assuming the bearing/hub assembly and was checking Rock Auto for prices. They carry several brands from $45 to $160. If it is in fact the bearing, are there any brands to avoid? Searching here for info shows some people having replacements fail very quickly. Or just cough up and get the Motorcraft bearings (most expensive)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timken is what came on the vehicles from the factory (at least on my vehicles)...and, they have always been known for quality. It's what I've always used and never been disappointed. But, your'e certainly correct in that when it comes to bearings, you get what you pay for. Cheap hub bearings are just that...CHEAP! BTW...Motorcraft doesn't make bearings...they're just rebranded (most likely Timkens).

Good info. Timken is actually the ones that I already loaded into my cart ($89 ea). Was going to take a closer look today and see if I can actually confirm if it is the bearing.

I'd go with the Timken's. They've always been a premium brand, but these days you never know where in the world stuff is made.

The Ford OEM bearings I've seen/replaced at 265K said Timken on the seals, I had a Chinese bearing fail last year on my 2001 Eddie Bauer that looked new and was properly installed, the Timkens are also in my experience much smoother to turn and heavier, I'd spend the $$$ for the Timkens.

1st choice Timkin, 2nd choice would be Moog. Motorcraft would be nice but your just buying a repackaged timkin or skf bearing with a Ford package.

Ditto. I've bought four Ford front hubs, $200 each back then(2004 and 2005). Now there are many choices. Avoid the cheap "never heard of them" brands(include Detroit Axle in that).

I have two of those Moog hubs on my 98 from last year, and the Timken brand is still about the best choice besides.

Well, I went with the Timkens. Also, prior to ordering, I tried to make sure it was the bearings. Thats when I discovered that both upper ball joints were toast, with the driver side being really wasted. So, along with the bearings, ordered up some new upper control arms with ball joints, and the Timken bearings. I suppose that would explain the uneven wear I was starting to get on the front tires.
Everything was delivered yesterday afternoon, and it was not snowing or raining, so I dived in to change everything. Very easy to swap eveything out on these vehicles. Took me less than a couple hours from start to finish. Turned out to be the pass side bearing that was bad, but did both anyway.
I never realized exactly how loud that bearing had become. It is so quiet going down the road now. There always was some road noise in this rig since I have owned it, which I assumed was just the tires. But now, its just whisper quiet. And the steering is nice and tight going down the road now.
One more thing, the original bearings were Timkens.

Well, I went with the Timkens. Also, prior to ordering, I tried to make sure it was the bearings. Thats when I discovered that both upper ball joints were toast, with the driver side being really wasted. So, along with the bearings, ordered up some new upper control arms with ball joints, and the Timken bearings. I suppose that would explain the uneven wear I was starting to get on the front tires.
Everything was delivered yesterday afternoon, and it was not snowing or raining, so I dived in to change everything. Very easy to swap eveything out on these vehicles. Took me less than a couple hours from start to finish. Turned out to be the pass side bearing that was bad, but did both anyway.
I never realized exactly how loud that bearing had become. It is so quiet going down the road now. There always was some road noise in this rig since I have owned it, which I assumed was just the tires. But now, its just whisper quiet. And the steering is nice and tight going down the road now.
One more thing, the original bearings were Timkens.

Don't forget to get a wheel alignment now that you've replaced the UCA's.

Save that good original bearing for a spare in a pinch.

Back