JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Well, so much for the very 1st 2011 Explorer on here. Last Wednesday I had a meeting with a snowplow, and the Explorer lost. It's a write-off. Thankfully no injuries, except to my pride. 1st chargeable accident for me EVER (since 1980)

20180207_103156.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's too bad. Glad to hear that there were no injuries to on board personnel. Loved that colour.:(

Peter

Replacing it with a Cinnamon Glaze 2018 Explorer.

Replacing it with a Cinnamon Glaze 2018 Explorer.
Makes me want to run out for a donut.:D Be sure to post a picture.

Peter

FB_IMG_1519100893182.jpg
And here is the replacement. 2018 XLT well equipped.

And here is the replacement. 2018 XLT well equipped.
Very nice. I guess it's true that they've gone back to the "pigtail" antenna.

Peter

Wonder if the antenna change is XLT or all now for 18 ?

Wonder if the antenna change is XLT or all now for 18 ?
I believe someone posted they though it was because of the now available Ford Pass/Connect feature and the band/frequency it operates on.

Peter

I believe someone posted they though it was because of the now available Ford Pass/Connect feature and the band/frequency it operates on.

Peter

I think you are right. My 2018 XLT has the shark fin style antenna. It does not have the Connect feature.

Bummer about the 2011,OP. Glad you are ok!

Glad to see you're okay! Good thing you chose a fitting replacement!

As for the antenna, I am seeing photos on the Ford site showing even base models with the shark fin antenna. Might want to check with your dealer on why the antenna is different.

Glad to see you're okay! Good thing you chose a fitting replacement!

As for the antenna, I am seeing photos on the Ford site showing even base models with the shark fin antenna. Might want to check with your dealer on why the antenna is different.
It's not the first 2018 I've seen here with the 'pigtail' antenna yet on the Ford website it shows a Platinum with the 'shark fin'. :dunno:

Peter

For fun I checked the service manual. There are different external antennas for vehicles with and without a hot spot. The pics however show a sharkfin antennas.

Our 18 has a hybrid antenna. It's a sharkfin plus a short whip

Here's a close-up of the antenna

20180225_101308.jpg

Thanks for that picture. Looks like they combined the old (pig tail) and the new (shark fin) to form a sort of 'hybrid' antenna.

Peter

Peter
My '18 Platinum has that antenna.

I've got the "hybrid" antenna on my 2018 Platinum -- equipped with hot spot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That has to be a bogus pic. No way I'd want that. On my 2014, with the old post antenna, it would hit my garage door and it was OK going in, but I couldn't back out. I had to replace it with a "stubby" antenna to get it to clear the door. No way I'd want this set up. With my 2016 and the sharkfin, I have no problems.

Back