The start of a new addiction | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The start of a new addiction

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going full hydro actually.. I got a steering orbital for free my grandpa had one and Im gonna run a single ram I got from psc

Getting further.. had to notch the frame because the coil springs we're basically touching the frame because the buckets on the d30 were only a half inch wider than the frame rails and then got the track bar mounted had to make our own because the cherokee bracket I got hung way too low, more work tomorrow

IMG_20180216_235801298_LL.jpg

IMG_20180216_235741970_LL.jpg

IMG_20180216_235657705.jpg

IMG_20180216_193839988_LL.jpg

IMG_20180216_185756019_LL.jpg

Nice truck project, it looks like fun. Just curious: After you "notched" the frame, are you going to do anything to recover any of the original strength for the frame?

We welded in plate steel in it's place so there's really no structural weakness, we used 10 gauge so it was actually a tad thicker than the frame itself

Well there it is.. still gotta do steering and some spray painting but it's on it's own weight now

IMG_20180218_190936893.jpg

IMG_20180218_153559569.jpg

Where did you get the Lower Control arm at? Looks like one I want to be getting for mine when I do my SAS/SOA! :) By the way looking good.

I made them, had extra 2" tubing with 1/4 wall at work they were gonna throw in the scrap bin so got 17 feet of free tubing but I did buy the brackets and heims at barnes4wd and then made my own poly bushing ends

Excellent work. This is coming together fast! I like it! Thanks for the pictures and update.

Few questions:
1. Are you using all the factory D30 brackets on the axle? Did you cut or add anything to it?
2. What springs are you running? 5" or 7" lift? How much lift are you getting in the end?
3. Did you make the panhard bar or where did you get it?
4. Are you using standards heim joints at the frame or Johnny Joints?
5. Would you mind posting close up picture of red 3rd link(s) from side and front of Ex for a good visual?
6. What angles and length did you determine for use on your 2 side links and adjuster links?
7. Thank you very much for the detailed photos again!

Lol that's a lot of questions I'll try to answer in one shot.. the bottom control arms were cut at 30" the top are at 13.25 including the bungs on the end I used 7/8 heims on the frame mounts and 3/4 heims for the top control arms and the d30 top mount brackets from barnes4wd.. Trac bar is from iron rock off road and the coil shocks as well but they're rough country xj 4.5 lift.. I have some play in my height because I used the adjustable coil towers... Umm let's see for the bottom control arms were I welded in the poly joints I did 7° on my tubing notcher and for the top I just kinda eyeballed it

IMG_20180219_160630554_LL.jpg

IMG_20180219_160537300_LL.jpg

IMG_20180219_160521636_LL.jpg

IMG_20180219_160423472.jpg

And yes I'm using all the factory mounting g brackets on the Dana 30 itself and I didn't add anything for mounting it

@Bigred89 - I cant thank you enough :bow:...your description and photos are perfect!

I have the same brackets, but I was going to start with 5" coil springs from a cherokee as suggested by another member here on the forum. He was going to up the lift spring to 7" cause he thought they were a little soft. I know with adjustability, If I went with 5" springs, I could adjust height accordingly. I plan on running 33" tires but later bump to 35's...

From the pictures, it looks like there is plenty of clearance for everything. I also picked up a trussing kit from the same company and will install after I get my axle in place.

An Idea I had for my springs, I was able to cut out the spring tube (located on top of spring on most jeeps) and thought I would either bolt or weld it in place to hold the spring on the top in the spring perch. As for the axle, I plan on using the jeep factory hold down clamp.

Knowing you used all the factory brackets thrill me...less work and money to spend. Fantastic!

What do you plan to do with the anti-locking system with your brakes?

Well as far as the brakes I just pulled the fuse for the anti locking stuff the only thing is now my mph gauge doesn't work so that fuse must be linked with each other and also yea I'll need to lift my coil buckets a couple inches because the top mounting brackets on the d30 are a lil close to the bottom of the frame but other than that it's been soooo much cutting and grinding and welding I'm just fortunate enough my friend also has knowledge in fabrication as well so we were able to make major process

At what point on the axle did you measure for Caster? Top of the spindle/ball joint?

7-10 degree's Caster?

What is your plan on shocks? Using stock location on axle and new mount on frame?

Yea I did top of ball joint.. I did -4° since it's strictly offroad use only but I'll be using stock location on the d30 for shocks and I'll have to weld a mount to the frame

When I would setup axle setups on early Rods, I would put it at 7-10 degree's for on-road use - always a good feel in the steering wheel and excellent bounce back to center after a turn.

Would you concur on that assessment for these trucks- on and mild off road.

Here's some of the steering valve orbital and the hydraulic cylinder locations.. as you can see this is where things start to get a lil tight. Everything works but the stock pump might be a little weak to power the cylinder and I still need to button up some loose ends yet but this swap is basically done!

IMG_20180220_164727446.jpg

IMG_20180220_163912314_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180220_105002419.jpg

IMG_20180219_131140638_LL.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back