Losing coolant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Losing coolant

Frdbronco8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 mountaineer
I've been losing coolant in our 4.6ltr. Almost a gallon I'm the last month between the radiator and overflow. Already replaces radiator cap. Some white residue around cap. No white smoke and oil looked ok. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive got the same issue with my 4.0. No idea where its going but it isn't leaking and it isn't going in to the oil.

Check all the hose clamps on the heater hoses, front and back. Known to corrode and brake, losing clamping load on the hoses.

Pressure test the system.

Check the Y split for rear heat on the passenger side under the hood.

Ive got the same issue with my 4.0. No idea where its going but it isn't leaking and it isn't going in to the oil.
Bet its sitting in the valley under the intake, evaporating at a slow pace, or running down the back of the block.

The 4.0 posts are fine and dandy, but since the OP indicated he has the V8, lets focus there...

Two thoughts:
Do you have the rear heat and a/c (you'd have separate temp and fan speed controls in the overhead console if you do). If you do, look at the Y-pipe on the heater hose in the passenger side front wheelwell. The plastic tends to crack and weep coolant out at this location. If it is leaking, you should fine some coolant residue on the y-pipe and underneath it all over. It tends to evaporate due to being close to the exhaust, so you may never see a puddle on the ground...

The other is to check the radiator itself. They tend to leak where some of the plastic pieces holding it in place hide where the leak is or they are behind the cooling fan shroud. You can look underneath the front end, there are two oval like tabs where antifreeze can drip and collect underneath the radiator. When my radiator fully failed, it was obvious it had been leaking here for some time.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will check these out over the weekeed! I was fearing head gasket but hopefully it's one of these.

Pressure test revealed leak in the radiator on the top left side (drivers side). At least it's not a head gasket. Thanks!

Glad you found it - that's where mine was leaking also. If you plan to DIY just understand that you will need a special tool to disconnect the transmission lines and they won't come easily. Then you will have to remove the radiator - and it won't come easily either. It's a much harder job than it should be but if you are patient and determined it's doable.

Back