• Register Today It's free!

2010 SOHC/ 5R55S Dark Fluid

gdgiordano

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
I took it in today to have the transfluid done and they came back and said it was dark and overfilled by 1 quart. The good news is there was zero solid debris in the fluid. It is driving good and shifts are firm but smooth. Occasionally 1st to 2nd is accented but nothing crazy and I have seen that is somewhat normal of this drive train. Other than the dark fluid it seems cherry. The vehicle has 116k on it and Ford recommends the first change at 150k. It doesn't have the "heavy" towing package so it has no trans cooler. It doesn't appear that it has ever towed anything(the receiver looks untouched). So it either came from the factory overfilled or someone did it already and did it wrong.

Witch brings me to my 3 questions.

1. Is it possible that being overfilled caused the fluid darkness?
2. What could cause the fluid to be prematurely dark with no other signs of trouble?
3. Is it worthwhile/possible to add a trans cooler to it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First mistake was getting a flush. Should have dropped the pan and done a filter and fluid swap. The fluid darkens with age and regular changes are recommended. If your lucky the flush didn't wreck anything and a band adjustment will clean up any second third flair. There is a factory cooler built into the rad. Mercon V only.

First mistake was getting a flush. Should have dropped the pan and done a filter and fluid swap. The fluid darkens with age and regular changes are recommended. If your lucky the flush didn't wreck anything and a band adjustment will clean up any second third flair. There is a factory cooler built into the rad. Mercon V only.
Thank you. After driving a little more the 1-2 accent is gone and feels more like the good transition in all of the other gears. It is also feeling up slightly on power but it could be in my head. But in short I was not worried about it before but it does feel a little better now. I’m not sure how to describe it. It definitely doesn’t feel like my 2 5r55e’s felt in my 97 before they died. It feels stronger tonight. No sag but no flare either. Balence between the two.

The ford dealer did the work. They used the mercon V. My normal shops wouldn’t touch it because they didn’t feel they could fill it properly due to the no dipstick.

Did all models regardless of packages have a trans cooler?

Yes, only the fittings to the rad changed between the early build of the first year of the 4th gen and latter, but all of them use the same style rad with the cooler built into the bottom of it. Its funny the dealer did the flush for you. My dealer was the one who recommended against doing a flush on the risk of loosening debris and forcing it back through the valve body. That was before I found these forums. Their recommendation was the filter and fluid swap.

Ugh ok thank you. I’m paranoid now. Nothing I can do I guess.

I am obviously hoping there wasn’t any hardcore debris in there like the fluid contents may seggest. I’m really hoping it was just dirty and that was that. Like I said this is at least the second time it has been done it seems. Maybe that is encouraging. Maybe the pan method was done and that’s how it got overfilled.

Depends on the machine the dealer used. No fear if the machine uses the transmissions own pump to exchange the fluid.
Note: Some service centers use machines that add additional force to blast fluid and/or cleaning solution through the system. This is NEVER a good idea as this can damage seals and/or lodge sludge in places it shouldn’t be as mentioned above.
What is a Transmission Flush? | Cost & Process

Its pretty hard to overfill the transmission on one of these unless your trying. basically you use a transfer pump to fill it though the drain bolt. There is a neck on the inside bolt of the plug that reaches the correct level for the fluid. You fill it until it runs out the fill plug, and then let it run until out until is slows to a drip. Hard to explain, easy once you have done it. In my experience, if you overfill one of these (my parents 91) all it does is blow out the rear seal. Different Model transmission, but the basics are still the same.

Dark fluid is not necessarily a concern - I almost hate to say it. They all go dark eventually, and the sooner you replace them the better. Or replace them before they go very dark.

Depends on the machine the dealer used. No fear if the machine uses the transmissions own pump to exchange the fluid.

What is a Transmission Flush? | Cost & Process
They used a ford exclusive device that nobody else had and wouldn’t service my vehicle as a result. I can tell you the draining process was very gentle as it took 30-45 minutes. He did mention a little suction.

Its pretty hard to overfill the transmission on one of these unless your trying. basically you use a transfer pump to fill it though the drain bolt. There is a neck on the inside bolt of the plug that reaches the correct level for the fluid. You fill it until it runs out the fill plug, and then let it run until out until is slows to a drip. Hard to explain, easy once you have done it. In my experience, if you overfill one of these (my parents 91) all it does is blow out the rear seal. Different Model transmission, but the basics are still the same.
The seals are all solid. So that’s good. I think it is ok.

Dark fluid is not necessarily a concern - I almost hate to say it. They all go dark eventually, and the sooner you replace them the better. Or replace them before they go very dark.
That makes me feel better. I will be short changing the fluid at 150 though. I’ll be sure they drop the pan and do the filter too.

Back