Fan clutch wobbles on water pump, 5.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fan clutch wobbles on water pump, 5.0

I think it’s so high since most shops know the likelihood of broken bolts is fair. If they quote you high there is no hard feelings when it’s expensive. If I were home I am sure I could get it done even cheaper. However, with the weather play on the fan ( easily 1/4” at the snout) I’d be leery to drive it any distance.

I just got off he phone with him, the pump he was going to use is a Napa true flow (retails for $69). It includes all fluids, gaskets, new bolts, and as my first time there I got a complimentary oil change and tire rotation. Quoted $369, and would upgrade to a motorcraft pump and install a new sync drive for $400. I’m sold.

I guess if you have to pay someone to do the work, that's not a bad deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This will be the first time in over 10 years that a mechanic has touched one of my trucks. If I were home I’d have no problem doing this, or any other repair.

The trouble with this task is that occasionally (often?) the bolts weld themselves to the aluminum timing cover, and R&R'ing that is a totally different ball game. Let us know how it went.
For whatever reason Ford stuck to this ancient design of the fan attached to the water pump and the whole heavy and not so-well balanced mess, pulled down by the belt, sitting on top of the thin aluminum timing cover, for half a century. They finally got it right with the "modular" V8 (though, being Ford, they created a new problem with plugs shooting out).

The plugs don't shoot out if they're done right, I love Tritons, wouldn't hesitate in a minute to buy a 4.6 Ex. However, 5.0s are tough as nails, cheaper to build and run forever.

The plugs don't shoot out if they're done right, I love Tritons, wouldn't hesitate in a minute to buy a 4.6 Ex. However, 5.0s are tough as nails, cheaper to build and run forever.
Have one of those on my Vic, and had one before on a Grand Marquis. Never had a problem with plugs, but after reading all the horror stories, I have been treating them with utmost respect -- while the ones on my 5.0L Explorer, which go into those ancient steel heads can be screwed in with a breaker bar and nothing bad happens...
By the way, I have been hunting for a 4th Gen 4.6L Explorer, and they are practically impossible to find - unless you want a junker with three previous owners, 200,000 miles, and a couple accidents. And no wonder: if you look at production quantities, Ford made just 50,000 Explorers in 2010 (the last year of the 4th Gen), and most of those must have been the 4.0L SOHC.

@1998Exp Here the cheap 3rd gens are all SOHC, beat to bits and ragged out with at least 275K miles, or a rust bucket, but they're all something I wouldn't trust to get me across a street, I'd get a 4th gen if I was gonna get a newer Explorer, they're not much more expensive here and a world better vehicle IMO.

Shop labor to replace the water pump is $500+
@Mbrooks420
I can understand that being possible with today's super-high labor burden rates. I hear dealers are about $150+ per hour. A small shop hungry for work should be way < $100, I think.

I remember when dealer rates were under $50, the 80's I recall. Now with everyone's pay going up all around the country, the rest of businesses will raise prices. People think economics is illogical, nothing affects anything else. I need to make 100k a year to afford to retire. Is that logical either?

Could I lose two quarts in three weeks out of the week hole?

I assume you meant to say "weep" hole. It depends. My 5.0 Mountaineer lost very little coolant for at least a year before the W/P was replaced. It just squeaked and had quiet a bit of play at the fan's shaft. When the W/P in our Sport started making horrific noises, from the shaft banging around, it wasn't leaking at all. If the seal gets damaged it will leak more.

Could I lose two quarts in three weeks out of the week hole?

Yes, it's definitely possible. If the weep hole drips a lot, that says the seals are not holding liquid back well at all, which sounds right if the shaft/bearings are going out.

My 98 Explorer had a tiny leak at the radiator, and I didn't worry about it, until I saw a slight residue of coolant around the bottom front of my oil pan. That I guessed is from the WP, and I finally used a stop leak(Alumiseal). That stopped the leak, for several weeks. I keep checking the overflow bottle, and last week it went empty in two days. Now I think my WP is leaking a little more than before, and it could easily be a quart a week. Mine might also be partially from the timing cover, but I didn't look hard that time I saw coolant on the oil pan.

Yeah, I meant weep hole. I’ve been smelling coolant about two weeks, and peeking underneath, the front of the motor is wet. I need to get another garage. Being away from mine sucks.

I remember when dealer rates were under $50, the 80's I recall. Now with everyone's pay going up all around the country, the rest of businesses will raise prices. People think economics is illogical, nothing affects anything else. I need to make 100k a year to afford to retire. Is that logical either?
@CDW6212R
Best I ever did was $50,000 near the very end, so not for long. I am completely dependent on S/S to go day by day. Avoid that, if you can. imp

I understand, though I expect to be there too if nothing changes.

Yeah, I've been there (SS) for about 8 years now. Fortunately I made a 6 figure income for quite a few of my working years, have a couple of pensions and my wife's small SS check, but every year I have less money to work with, plus now I have a daughter and my grandson living with me and she only works part-time and can't afford to pay rent. After almost a year I've finally convinced her to file for child support, but the POS father doesn't seem to have a real job these days either. Still, she might as well make his life miserable. I love how every time the government see's fit to grant us a small SS increase, they take it right back with increased medicare costs.

Yeah, I've been there (SS) for about 8 years now. Fortunately I made a 6 figure income for quite a few of my working years, have a couple of pensions and my wife's small SS check, but every year I have less money to work with, plus now I have a daughter and my grandson living with me and she only works part-time and can't afford to pay rent. After almost a year I've finally convinced her to file for child support, but the POS father doesn't seem to have a real job these days either. Still, she might as well make his life miserable. I love how every time the government see's fit to grant us a small SS increase, they take it right back with increased medicare costs.
@koda2000
Ain't it the damndest truth!

I’ll work until I’m dead.

I’m not expecting a terribly long life. I’ve come to terms with it.

My OD light is now flashing. If this things doesn’t straighten up it’s going to get traded for a Lexus instead of being parked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know, my thought too.

Back