4.0 Running fine then engine quietly dies while idling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Running fine then engine quietly dies while idling

94Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I have a 2006 Explorer with the 4.0 engine. It’s been running fine except for a very intermittent issue where it quietly stalls while idling in drive when stopped. At that point a red message shows in the message center saying “CHECK CHARGING SYS”. I had it in the shop where they ran diagnostics and test drove the car without seeing the problem.
The problem hadn’t happened for a week, then today it happened three times. In every case the car starts right up and it drives fine. There is no shuddering when it stalls, it’s more like it just decided to take a snooze. There were codes from a faulty EGR valve when it was in the shop, and a new EGR valve was put in getting rid of those codes. It’s a very strange problem... Help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2006 Explorer with the 4.0 engine. It’s been running fine except for a very intermittent issue where it quietly stalls while idling in drive when stopped. At that point a red message shows in the message center saying “CHECK CHARGING SYS”. I had it in the shop where they ran diagnostics and test drove the car without seeing the problem.
The problem hadn’t happened for a week, then today it happened three times. In every case the car starts right up and it drives fine. There is no shuddering when it stalls, it’s more like it just decided to take a snooze. There were codes from a faulty EGR valve when it was in the shop, and a new EGR valve was put in getting rid of those codes. It’s a very strange problem... Help?
It runs smooth at low speeds as well? Check fuel filter or plugs? This is bizzare. I could be wrong but fuel not being fully burnt can cause egr valve issues. Break out the SeaFoam!

It was even running fine before replacing the EGR valve, but it was throwing three EGR related codes so it made since to replace the valve. It runs just fine now other than quietly stalling at idle on very rare occasions. Then it quickly starts right back up like nothing happened. The shop tested the alternator and battery trying to research the problem and saw no issues. The Explorer has about 160k miles.

I would try some seafoam in the fuel if you haven’t done any fuel treatment recently. When was your plugs done? Check the fuel pressure? It sounds like the engine starved of something on occasion.

check the wires between the engine sensors like throttle body and mass air flow.... mine stalled like this and it was when I removed some stuff and the broken insulation cause a ground out and makes everything act up really bad..... its really crappy on high humidity or puddle hopping

Back