Start working on it' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Start working on it'

M@X33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer limited 1992
Hello guys,

I put some pictures of the beginning, sorry for my bad English cause I'm writing from FRANCE....

I love American cars, I've already own Cadillac SRX V6 3.6 and JEEP Grd Cherokee V8 4.7

Now I bought an Explorer, first generation, and will try to take it back to life. It has problem with sugar in the fuel tank and don't start 1or2 years.....

Today I put out the fuel tank and :

53806962834__A8710722-7454-4B18-97EA-288BE47079F6.JPG

and

fullsizeoutput_33f.jpeg
IMG_0048.JPG
53807430485__96415569-3485-48E0-B9A6-724948ADE356.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, the body and paint looks to be in excellent condition!

This would be a great time to inspect the gas filler tube for cracks, they are known to c wrk with age.

Some news...

Finaly, gasoline problems solved ! After this i discover the electric starter is completely out of order !!

So i buy some parts on my favorite website for american parts : rockauto

Received this week, today i start the engine ...... some bad noise in direction pump and not enough oil in gearbox. At the beginning the car don't move when speed using.... After completing the level, beginning to work .... I bring the car slowly to life :dpchug:

Some pictures .....

IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG

I knew there were different headlights on some of the European versions of our first gens, but I didn't realize that the tail lights differed as well.

Truck looks to be in really good condition! Can't wait to see what else you do to it!

I didn't realize that the tail lights differed as well.

Because of the turn light...... Your's are RED, ours are Orange !! Normally it's forbidden, but i hate FRENCH one

Wow that is in really nice shape!
Good luck and keep us posted

M@X33 I would not change out those tail lights to all red. Its illegal!! I lived in Munich Germany for 7 years and saw many Ford Explorers!!! Its the law in EU that the turn signals must be Orange! In Germany if you get pulled over for speeding etc.... your fine is determined by how much money you make "salary" per year. I dont know if France does that? Person I worked with got a speeding ticket cost him $1700 euros. Driving a car in europe is a privilege! way different in USA.......

Never see that !!!! OMG ....... :eek:

IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG

Godzilla took a piece of that caliper!!

I would replace all of those brakes -- calipers, rotors, bearings and all. Looks like the prior owner did not take good care of the brake system.

I see it still has the automatic hubs. Good luck with those, I hope they're still working for you. If they are worn out, you may never be able to get the bearings / hub adjusting nut properly torqued -- leading to premature rotor wear and tire wear. After you get it repaired -- check for wheel play, up, down, left right. If there is any -- you may have done a great job torquing, but the worn out hubs allow too much play.

I like the European tail lights! But I can see you changing them to the American-style -- it is something different for you. I hope with such an old vehicle, in France you can license it as a "historic vehicle" -- maybe then it is not subject to the French regulations about tail lights. ??

Godzilla took a piece of that caliper!!

I would replace all of those brakes -- calipers, rotors, bearings and all. Looks like the prior owner did not take good care of the brake system.

After several weeks of stopping on the work of the car, I start again ....

IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG

I don't see any grease on the caliper slide pins and the grooves they ride in. I strongly recommend lubing those points.

I don't see any grease on the caliper slide pins and the grooves they ride in. I strongly recommend lubing those points.

Ok, i notice this point !!! next time i put OFF the wheels, i will do it' :chug:

I working without any service book, if somebody have it :party:

Thanks

Ok, i notice this point !!! next time i put OFF the wheels, i will do it' :chug:

I wouldn't drive it until I lubed the pins. It's very important.

Back