Fuel efficiency... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel efficiency...

Reaction score
City, State
Bellefonte, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
I know a lot of people on here are looking to crank out more power without regards to fuel economy. However, as many mods as I'd like to do to my 99 xlt, I'd like to be able to afford to drive it, too. I currently have a 4.0 SOHC and would like to swap it for something I can get better efficiency with. Any suggestions for an engine that is more efficient that still has power potential when upgraded? I'm looking for the best power to efficiency ratio you can come up with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, if that's you goal sell the X & buy something that meets that goal. You going to spend $$ to get what you want.
The most popular swap is the 5.0L V8, but MPG isn't much if any better.

My goal is to get what I can with this particular explorer. I can gradually put money in over time and get closer to what I want than going out to buy something half way there. What would you say about the 2.3?

Best mile/horse to dollar swap would be a diesel powerplant. A cummins 4bt would fit really well. A 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke would probably be cheaper or more available. Going diesel would need a compatible fuel pump and ECM but great power and mileage.

Okay, I haven't thought about that... I know very little about diesel... I'll have to do a little research on it, but thank you very much for the suggestion. Thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Would anyone happen to have any suggestions on how to make my 4.0 SOHC more efficient? I have heard cold air intake and free flowing exhaust help, but is there anything else? In case I decide against an engine swap?

Diesel is pretty straight forward. Unlike a gas engine that has dedicated fuel and ignition systems, the fuel system is also the ignition system. Modern common-rail diesels are simple to increase power since they are computer controlled, only a programmer is necessary unless you plan on drag racing.
As for increasing the efficiency of the stock gas engine... Increasing compression is going to have the biggest effect. Around 10.5:1 is what the oem ecm will handle. Porting the heads to increase port velocity will increase efficiency by better mixing the fuel around the intake valve. Advancing the cams about 4* will boost power below about 5300rpm while using the same amount of fuel by increasing cylinder pressures. Compression, porting and cam timing usually require ecm tuning to take advantage of though. Either way, cold air intakes usually reduce low end torque(driving efficiency) and bigger exhausts can reduce cylinder pressures(helps with torque) on unmodified engines. The stock ignition systems are already high energy types. If you live outside of california, you can install an aftermarket Haltech ECM and save about 15% fuel once it's setup.

All fresh synthetic fluids, light foot, light, low rolling resistance tires. Low cruising speed. The 2.3 would struggle to pull the heavier Explorer. They can be built for big power (think super coupe and SVO) but I think that’d kill any mpg gain. You probably be in much better shape buying a second car that was actually engineered to be efficient.

All fresh synthetic fluids, light foot, light, low rolling resistance tires. Low cruising speed. The 2.3 would struggle to pull the heavier Explorer. They can be built for big power (think super coupe and SVO) but I think that’d kill any mpg gain. You probably be in much better shape buying a second car that was actually engineered to be efficient.
Agreed. Consider the amount of money you'll spend on upgrades or an engine swap, and then do the math on the realistic difference in fuel economy and how long it would take to pay for itself. I think you'd be very lucky to break even in a decade on most swaps. Something like a TDI diesel might work, but you'll have a fair amount of money into making it functional in an Explorer.

Spend a few hundred on a beater commuter car and you can always sell the car down the road to get your money back. You'd also have a spare car to drive if one needs downtime for maintenance.

Any suggestions for an engine that is more efficient that still has power potential when upgraded? I'm looking for the best power to efficiency ratio you can come up with.

662hp. 24mpg* in a 4000lbs car. Still plenty of potential to upgrade power!

dsc_0630-jpg.419879

*Body shape and gearing may have had something to do with mpg.

Pipe dreams. The days of a non oem equipt engine swap by the hands of the everyman died in the day the computer took control. Lay off the gas pedal and drive like a little old lady.. That will get you the gains you are looking for.

Best mile/horse to dollar swap would be a diesel powerplant. A cummins 4bt would fit really well. A 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke would probably be cheaper or more available. Going diesel would need a compatible fuel pump and ECM but great power and mileage.

I disagree, you forgot about transmission, transfer case, and new drive shafts. It would never pay.

Your can buy a Ford Focus around here for $2000.

$2000 doesn't go far when in comes to mods let along doing an entire powertrain/drivetrain swap.

Explorer: est. 15mpg combined.
Focus: est. 24mpg combined.

500 miles a week. $2.50 a gallon

Explorer: $83 for 500miles
Focus: $52 for 500 miles

$31 difference a week.

26,000 miles driven in a year (at 500 a week)
If gas prices, fuel quality and temp the same (mpg)

Explorer: $4,333 a year in fuel
Focus: $2,708 a year in fuel

Difference: $1,625 a year.

A cheap 4-pot gas sipper beater that can get +24mpg all day will practically pay for itself in the first year.

I'd get one or maybe a lil' 2.3 ranger but I just can't stand the feeling of mashing the gas and not going anywhere. I owned a ohv 4.0L, a 98 5 speed sport thinking better gas mileage and I discovered 1. I missed the power and utility of a V8 2. I'm not 20 anymore and 5 speeds are a pita 3.) I missed having the room and 2 extra doors. 4.) mpg didn't seem to be that far off between the two.

Pay for the privilege I guess...

I respect that many of you would rather go out and buy something more efficient. But on the other hand, car designers/builders had to start somewhere. I respect and heed all advice given on here. However, I will be more inclined to look into what it would take to get the job done rather than get rid of a problem. So keep the suggestions rolling in. I'm definitely interested in that 5.8L you posted about, Centaurus5.0

That's all well and good, but it's totally contrary to your stated goal of saving money overall.

If your actual goal is to create the highest fuel efficiency Explorer you can, that's a very different goal.

The goal is to do all the modifications to my explorer while being able to save on gas... so the money I save can go to continued modifications for now. I would like to get the best power to efficiency ratio possible, even if that means spending a little more upfront

The 5.8 was a wee joke. Your looking at +$20,000 plus it won't fit anyway. The disclaimer was "body shape and gearing may have had something to do with mpg".

You could put an airdam/skirt around the bottom of the rig to make it more aero but then you'll loose clearance and may as well get a conversion van. Some skinny tires on 15" but then what's the point of having an suv with limited traction. Gearing should already be optimum from factory for overall mpg. If you do more city than hwy, 4.10's might payoff but then how ya gunna keep your foot out of it?

Everyone is looking for the magic combo of hp/mpg/utility/dependability/lowest cost of ownership. The secret is spending the least possible trying to find it and realizing limitations. Law of diminishing returns.

I think the advice given by others was sound and to the point. Pretty much comes down to maintenance and speed are the biggest factors in mpg, aerodynamics aside.

Thinking you can spend money on a truck to save money is absolutely silly. Change driving habits or get a smaller car.

Spending money to do preventive maintenance or fix things that are actually broken might save you money in the long run. Outside of that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The goal is to do all the modifications to my explorer while being able to save on gas... so the money I save can go to continued modifications for now. I would like to get the best power to efficiency ratio possible, even if that means spending a little more upfront
The problem is you’ll never ‘save’ anything with any kind of swap. The SOHC has many reasons to swap it, but for the weight of the Explorer, it’s a fair balance of usable power and efficiency. A small turbo and an economy tune might be the best use of funds, but you’d likely never see an actual return.

Back