• Register Today It's free!

Compatibility question....

AnthonyMarc

Reaction score
City, State
SLC, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hey all. I've got a 2015 Explorer Sport. My wife broke the side mirror housing on the garage as she was backing out, so I'm trying to get it replaced. I've found a few options for the part number I need. Apparently BB5Z-17683-EAPTM is the one I need which has all of the bells and whistles. My question is if I got one that was exactly the same only it didn't have the mirror defrost function, would everything else just plug right in, or would the connectors be different because of the defroster? I have never in my life wished I had a side mirror defroster and I honestly didn't even know this vehicle had it, so it isn't something I'll miss. I've got a parts guy who can sell me one without the defroster for $250 or with it for $300, so I'm just seeing if I can save $50 bucks. Thanks for any advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever time you use the rear defrost the side mirrors heat also. I would suck up the extra 50 and do it right, when you sell it the next owner will be trying to figure out why it does not work. I would check junk yards as well as Tascaparts and the link Peter posted. Do a google search and find the least expensive opition.

Ever time you use the rear defrost the side mirrors heat also. I would suck up the extra 50 and do it right, when you sell it the next owner will be trying to figure out why it does not work. I would check junk yards as well as Tascaparts and the link Peter posted. Do a google search and find the least expensive opition.

Yup, that's how I found the part that I found. I'm not paying the $600 bucks the dealership wants to charge me. That verges on being worth an insurance claim at that point. lol $300 isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, so I guess I'll just get that one. I park it in a garage and the side mirrors have never iced up in the nearly 3 years that I've had this thing. I've used the rear defroster just to defog the back window, but the mirrors have always been clear. Side mirror defrosters seem a little pointless to me. I guess if it was parked outside and they iced up regularly then it would be a different story. Anyway, thanks for the help, guys! I guess I know what I have to do now.

Yup, that's how I found the part that I found. I'm not paying the $600 bucks the dealership wants to charge me. That verges on being worth an insurance claim at that point. lol $300 isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, so I guess I'll just get that one. I park it in a garage and the side mirrors have never iced up in the nearly 3 years that I've had this thing. I've used the rear defroster just to defog the back window, but the mirrors have always been clear. Side mirror defrosters seem a little pointless to me. I guess if it was parked outside and they iced up regularly then it would be a different story. Anyway, thanks for the help, guys! I guess I know what I have to do now.
The heated mirrors are also very helpful for clearing up the glass if it gets fogged. It happened to be a few times after I backed out of the garage all the glass fogged up. Also, freezing rain won't ice up the mirrors if heated.

Peter

Hey, I agree with you Peterk9, the heating of glass is beneficial in cleaning the fog, it is an advantage of heating glass.

It’s an expensive, three year old car. Spend the $50.

Back