body lift questions!!! also, pep boys can suck it! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

body lift questions!!! also, pep boys can suck it!

sethsport

Reaction score
City, State
cocoa beach fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sporttrac xlt 4x4
heres the lowdown, went to pep boys for an alignment because my front drivers tire was wearing badly on the inside, dude said he couldnt do the alignment because the tires were too bad, bullshit i said, theyre only a year old and its only the one thats wearing bad. long story short i got four new nitto terra grapplers, thats what i had on before, then went back to pep boys and waited an hour just for them to take my truck back then come right back and say they cant do it because my body mounts are worn.
seriously, i was about to drop cash for the lifetime alignment but i see their ploy. they get you on the lifetime alignment then every time you bring it in they find a reason why they cant do it "but they can fix it for you"
pep boys can suck it.

but i digress. i do need body mounts though so im going to take this opportunity to do a body lift.

who on here has done a body lift?
where is a good place to purchase the parts?

ive never done one before but from what i can tell it seems pretty involved. but aside from a steering ext, gas filler tube, etc, it seems the process for a body lift is almost the same as putting in standard mounts anyway so might as well do the lift.

any info/links/tech tips would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Summit Racing has their own brand body lift, it has all the same parts , but costs less,,

My advice... Never go to Pep Boys.

My advice... Never go to Pep Boys.

AGREED.
I had just signed up and got approved for their credit line too. If I continue going there they’re just going to find anything and everything to give me the excuse to do all the things that I want to do. First they said I needed tires even though I really didn’t and now I’ve got four new NItto Terra grappler’s along with the spare. They said I need new body mount so now I’m just gonna go ahead and do a body lift. I guarantee you if I went back there to get the alignment they’re going to tell me my struts are bad and then I’ll probably end up putting in a super-lift With 2 inch wheel spacers and then I’ll finally go back to get the alignment which is all I really wanted in the first place and then they will tell me that they can’t do the alignment because of the wheel spacers... Oi vey!

Installing the body lift really isn't too bad. There are a lot of little tasks to accomplish, but most of them are easy. For me, the hardest part was holding the pucks from spinning while loosening the bolt. We solved that by using a 2' or 3' pipe wrench and my dad held them while I loosened the body bolts. Did the same thing putting the new ones in too.

Performance Accessories (BL kit is p/n PA70023) has a really good instruction manual that walks you through step by step with pictures and you can access a hi-res color version on their website.

Man... I read the instructions on the website, this seems intimidating, but the instructions are very thorough.
One of my concerns though is I read on the instructions that the Bumper can no longer be used for towing. That’s kind of confusing to me because I don’t know if they’re just talking about a ball hitch on the bumper cover or the actual bumper itself because on my truck I have an actual receiver That you slide the hitch into and lock it with a pin. If I can no longer tow with the body lift then I’ll just go with the original equip. Can anybody clear this up for me please?

Also, I read that the fasteners need to be checked after 500 miles and after every off-road use. I’ll check it after 500 miles but is it really necessary to check them after every off-road use?? because if that’s true then it seems to me that doing the body lift is more of a pain than it is worth it.
Thanks for the reply’s y’all, If I do the body lift then I’ll buy the material from Summit racing and just use the instructions off of the performance accessories website.

I never think a bumper is strong enough to tow anything. They are referring to the bumper itself. Not the 2" hitch receiver (that you slide a hitch into).

I haven't had an issue with mine coming loose and I put my truck through its paces off road. I did check them once after I installed it and everything settled. The bolts were all still tight.

Okay that’s what I figured otherwise nobody would be doing them. I’m looking into doing a SOA now. Can I do the SOA on the front too or would I just put shocks?

You can't do an SOA on the front because it is not a leaf spring suspension.

An SOA in the rear will give you more lift than you can get out of torsion twist by a good amount, so I would just do shackles or an add a leaf in the rear instead.

That, coupled with a BL will get you 5" of lift and allow you to run up to 35s.

Yeah I did the torsion lift before and gained a couple inches in the front. I knew it wasn’t front leaf springs, duh, stupid question.
I was thinking SOA in the back then new struts I front to match the lift but yeah like you said. With the BL and shackles I should be looking mean. Cheaper too

Back