having problems with child safety lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

having problems with child safety lock

duggyd123

Reaction score
City, State
delphi in
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt, 97 eddie bauer,79
i bout the car with them on and both doors now dont unlock from the inside even with them turned off i have flipped the switch several times and nothing i have taken the doors apart and looked inside and they look like everything is attached still. suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the plastic cover around the lock lever.
Spray a light penatrating oil (wd-40) in and around the lock
leaver mechanisim and work the mechanisim up and down several times.
This should free up the small gravity lock inside the mechanism.

I found this in Google search here: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/ford-expedition/TO442ERNK9KCQVKVB

Hope this helps out!!!

DUDE! I will have to try that! Both of my back doors dont open from the inside!!!!!!! (96 xlt)

Thank u so much :) I'm trying it in the mornin. I'll let u know what happens

One of mine was like that. Turns out my interior handle was broken. Some piece of plastic broke on the inside of the handle, so the door would not open from the inside. I ordered a new handle from Rockauto.com and installed it in about five minutes. Works perfectly.

Your handle may be broken. When you take off the door panel and everything, pull the inside handle and see if anything moves, if it doesn't it may be broke. You can always take plastic handle off and inspect it...it's just a clip and a couple screws that hold it on.

DUDE! I will have to try that! Both of my back doors dont open from the inside!!!!!!! (96 xlt)

Thank u so much :) I'm trying it in the mornin. I'll let u know what happens

Bump for an update. I'm interested if this worked!

Remove the plastic cover around the lock lever.
Spray a light penatrating oil (wd-40) in and around the lock
leaver mechanisim and work the mechanisim up and down several times.
This should free up the small gravity lock inside the mechanism.

I found this in Google search here: child safety lock rear passenger side

Hope this helps out!!!

I had issues with my passenger side rear door (07 Explorer XLT) hanging and locking the passenger in. The child safety lock was in the unlock position. I did exactly what is described and voila, it opens like a champ now! Thanks!!

Back