I'm back, with a 97 Mountaineer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm back, with a 97 Mountaineer

Ah, time to seal the top edge of the quarter glass. I've done that to three of the windows of two of mine, just a little line of black RTV, and the leak is gone until you feel like pulling the whole interior trim off, to R&R the window.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's why I have fixed mine with the RTV, it was fast and permanent, if you don't mind the little black showing just above the black rubber trim. My new 98 is black, so the RTV actually looks lighter like dark grey.

The cargo area side glass is held in place by a series of 10mm bolts/clamps around its perimeter. Remove the rear interior trim to access the bolts, You may need to tighten the bolts to stop the leaking. I had to do this on 2 of my trucks. It may also be necessary to apply some sort of sealant along the top edge of the trim from the outside. If you loosen the window's retaining bolts you can do a neater job than just putting the sealant on top of the plastic trim. You can also buy a type of black glass putty at most auto parts stores that comes in string form. This makes it easy to apply.

You can also buy a type of black glass putty at most auto parts stores that comes in string form. This makes it easy to apply.

Rope butyl. I bought mine from my local NAPA.

Picked up and installed 4 new tires on the Monti. The old Wranglers were hard as a rock.

rSUW5zv.jpg

hGMizz9.jpg

Posted the old tires on Facebook... have about 2 dozen people wanting to buy them.

The only place wranglers are any good is chipped up on a playground, or as rubber mulch.

Finally, you got some actual tires, it's my opinion that tires come in four grades, good tire, Chinese tires, bad tires, and then at rock bottom you have Goodyears. I got a whole set for $40, guy should've paid me that to remove them from his shed, they're soft, puncture easy, the cords break for no reason and they wear like butter and make a heck of a racket when they get worn down.

Finally, you got some actual tires, it's my opinion that tires come in four grades, good tire, Chinese tires, bad tires, and then at rock bottom you have Goodyears. I got a whole set for $40, guy should've paid me that to remove them from his shed, they're soft, puncture easy, the cords break for no reason and they wear like butter and make a heck of a racket when they get worn down.

Sorry, that's a good chuckle. I've had a few bad sets of tires also, on used cars I bought, and one set of a non name brand I got in the early 90's for my Crown Vic then(225/70/15). Those wore out very fast, rubber was too soft, and the handling was vague(more body roll than normal). I've only owned Goodyears as used take off tires from police cars. They were good for $15 each, but they too had a tread rating of 220 I think they were(soft rubber).

Sorry, that's a good chuckle. I've had a few bad sets of tires also, on used cars I bought, and one set of a non name brand I got in the early 90's for my Crown Vic then(225/70/15). Those wore out very fast, rubber was too soft, and the handling was vague(more body roll than normal). I've only owned Goodyears as used take off tires from police cars. They were good for $15 each, but they too had a tread rating of 220 I think they were(soft rubber).

Yeah following those, that's how I rate tires, I've had Chinese tires that were actually really good, you'd think American made tires with a name brand would be worth it, but I don't think so, at all.

Looking back, every experience I've ever had with Goodyear tires was bad. In the early 1970's I had a brand new set of fiberglass belted RWL Goodyear tires put on my '71 Road Runner. A few weeks later I got a blow-out on the New York State Thruway at 80 MPH and then watched the entire tread part of the tire roll past me as I struggled to get the car under control. All 4 tires were replaced by the tire shop when I got home.

In 1986 I bought a new Olds that came with Goodyear Gatorbacks. At 40 MPH the car tried it's best to swap ends on me on a wet secondary road. It felt like I was driving on a skid pad. It had been raining all day and I wasn't hydroplaning. Never drove the car in the rain, if I could help it, after that and traded it in on a 4x4 S10 Blazer a year later.

If 2012 I bought my daughter's '00 AWD Mountaineer, which had a set of Goodyear Wrangler's on it. I replaced them after my first 50 mile drive. Vague handling, bad ride, noisy.

Among the best tires I've ever had...
- Uniroyal Tiger Paws tires on my '87 4x4 S10 Blazer (first set lasted 60k)
- Uniroyal tires that came on my '93 4X4 Jimmy
- General tires on several vehicles
- Various sets of Michelin's (my current favorite)
- BF Goodrich radials on my mussel cars
- Cooper tires

I'll never buy Goodyear tires again.

My set of Goodyear Wrangler Radials, I had a howl start about 2K into ownership, a deafening one, like a wheel bearing that's about to destruct, but louder. Rotated them, boom, silence (wonderful thing btw). Was driving it about 2 weeks later, with no vibration, shimmy, weird handling or anything, went somewhere and parked it, came back out to a tire that had grown, and become an oval, turns out, it had worn a spot through the tread, through the cords and down to the INNER rubber in a ten mile drive, for ZERO reason. Tire wasn't slick, or abused either, never figured it out.

Somehow I had 44 people message me about those junk Wranglers and 1800 views on the ad in less than 1 day.
The poor ride quality and loud noise were terrible with the Wranglers. These Hankooks are so much smoother and quieter.

The only G-Year I would buy are the Eaglewhatevers that are on the front of my Town Car. They look good, grip well, and wear better than the crap Pirelli on the rear.

The only Goodyear tire I was happy with was their Assurance TripleTred that I put on my g/f's 05 Accord she had. They did great in all weather conditions. Still top in their category on TireRack. I think they were high rated at the time by Consumer Reports. Decent tread life also.

Looks great! Thanks for the update. Impressive work!

BTW - do all Monte's come with LSD rear ends? There are 5-6 of these in my local JY....

Looks great! Thanks for the update. Impressive work!

BTW - do all Monte's come with LSD rear ends? There are 5-6 of these in my local JY....
Check the VIN tag of the LF door, the axle code is on there. If it's a letter, that an LSD. The open carriers are number codes. The V6 4WD's in the late 90's are often 4.10's, most 302's got 3.73 gears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think its so much mounties, its if it has a 5 liter in it. My mountie has a trac lok in it, but My neighbor has a base xlt exploder with the 5 liter and it also has a trac lok. just look two axle tags in the rear, and look for a 3L73 or 3L55 code.

Back