• Register Today It's free!

Wiring harness swap

Paintjar

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4wd XLT
I am fixing up a 99 XLT. Not an expert by anymeans. Bought the shop manuals on the internet. Backyard project truck.Trans had a hole in the top. Reman was too expensive so I went for a junk yard. Found one from a 01 that only had 148000 on the speedo. Yard person told me that it would work on my 4.0 SOHC with an X on the vin. He said 99-01 were the same and would work. It's a gamble I know but the price was right. The harness had fewer exhaust sensors. My harness had a couple more of those exhaust sensors. I didn't see that difference when I got the 01 trans. My question is, Can I use my harness from the 99 with 4 exhaust sensor connectors? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes.

Thanks for that. I don't like leaving things unhooked. Because I have 4 is this some special pollution equiptment or an option for having 2 pipes running into the muffler? I noticed the ones in the junk yard only having 1 pipe going into the muffler.

Vin X is from an ohv 4.0, not a sohc. It should still work with swapping the harness.

Vin X is from an ohv 4.0, not a sohc. It should still work with swapping the harness.
I'm a knucklehead. Your right. I was looking at the 10th digit(year). The 8th digit (engine) is E. I gave them the right info at the junk yard. They asked me alot of questions. I had the vin with me. That was a big question, X or E. Anyhow the harness is working. Got it in and it has a non wiring issue. When I put it in reverse it engages right away. When I put it in drive I can count to 3 before it engages. I put the Mercon V with a qt of Lucas trans additive and a new filter. Didn't see alot of the black stuff in the pan. Has good torque, no slipping(using the brake), and shifts smoothly. Once in drive works great. Hoping it's valve stuck or something of the self fixing kind. I don't know alot about trans. I was told there are bands in there that can be tweaked. Still in progress. Thanks for reading the post and pointing out the mistake.

Good to hear it's in and working. The delay could very well be from a blown valve body gasket, very common. Most people upgrade to the gasket bonded plate to avoid this problem. I'm pretty sure if you check out some of the 5r55e rebuild threads someone will have some good pictures explaining the procedure.

Thanks. That's good news. Much appreciated. I will check it out.

Back