• Register Today It's free!

transmission oil and filter

Lil Joe

Reaction score
City, State
southwest Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
I have a 2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD with 106,000 miles. Is there any transmission filters that are USA made? What would be the best Trans fluid to use. I don't know if this is original tranny. Thank's for any input. Lil Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only trust Ford/Motorcraft filters. They aren't expensive either. You should be using a licensed Mercon V fluid. Walmart Supertech Mercon V actually is, and there is the ford brand. If you go on the Ford website for parts you may be able to locate a local distributor and get the fluid at a good price.

I used a WIX trans filter (IDK where they're made, but they're a quality filter) and Castrol Mercon V trans fluid. IMO this combo is at least as good as Ford parts/fluid (maybe better).

Attached is a video comparing a NAPA/WIX engine oil filter to a Motorcraft oil filter. The WIX filter is made of much better materials (internally and externally). There's nothing wrong with using Motorcraft filters, but there are certainly much better quality filters on the market. Sometimes it's true that you get hat you pay for.

where are motorcraft filters made - Yahoo Video Search Results

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oil and Purolator Boss extended life oil filters in all my engines. Most certainly a cut above the recommended Motorcraft products.

WIX has a factory in Gastonia, NC where I was born. My best friend is a supervisor there.

WIX has a factory in Gastonia, NC where I was born. My best friend is a supervisor there.

I looked. WIX manufactures in multiple sites the U.S., South America, Poland, China, the Ukraine and other locations. The Explorer 5.0L trans filter says it's primarily made in Canada. I prefer to buy Made in U.S.A. when I can, but consider all the Japanese cars that are now made in the U.S.A., which is great for U.S. jobs, but the profits still go to Japan. Just because something is made in China or Mexico today doesn't necessarily mean it's poor quality. I had a 60's Thunderbird with a rebuilt FE 390 CI engine. It had a HD oil pump and a cheap Motorcraft filter would swell from the oil pressure at startup (65-70 PSI). I found that the NAPA/WIX filter had a much thicker canister and w/stood the high pressure. Mobil 1, K&N, Purolator BOSS (and I'm sure other more expensive brands) are also far superior to the paper element, 50 fold, weak internal spring, thin canister Motorcraft oil filters. I'm not saying the Motorcraft filters aren't good enough, just that they're not better than good enough. If you want to see a cheap-ass oil filter, take an STP out of the box the next time your at AutoZone. I wouldn't put an STP oil filter on my lawn tractor.

O'Reilly's stocks most WIX filters.

STP Oil Filters are garbage, I used to use them, the oil always looked horrible at 5K miles, always had a top end tap, and two outta four bonded to the motor, which made for hot oil baths. I use Motorcraft or Purolator now, occasionally a WIX, and couldn't be happier, WIX has a top notch filter if I'm honest, always a good heavy high quality filter.

Thanks for the education guys. Lil Joe

The best fluid will be from Amsoil, but others besides cheap store brands, should be fine for Mercon V ATF. The Amsoil is cheaper than Motorcraft, but $11 a quart is pretty high. Ford's will run $15-20 I think at a dealer, and it's not necessarily better than a Castrol or Valvoline etc.

I like Wix filters also, that is a partner product line which Amsoil sells too.

Mobil 1 Tranny Fluid.

Mobil 1 has tranny fluid???

Should, unless they discontinued it.

mobil-1-synthetic-atf-fluid.png

That's the 1.:)

I think I'd rather stick with the Mercon V. I like Mobil 1 products, but I'd be more comfortable sticking with what Ford recommends for the transmission.

On ATF fluids, it's one of two choices for me. Use a full synthetic or add a bottle of lubegard if it's not, no matter what brand it is.

Keeps you flexible if you happen to find a killer deal on ATF. More money in your pocket and your transmission won't know the difference.

I've been running Mobil 1 for about 110K now, with changes that is.:)

On ATF fluids, it's one of two choices for me. Use a full synthetic or add a bottle of lubegard if it's not, no matter what brand it is.

Keeps you flexible if you happen to find a killer deal on ATF. More money in your pocket and your transmission won't know the difference.

Yeah, the last killer deal I found was at Advance. $2 per qt on Castrol Mercon V, buy on-line and pick up at store + whatever discount code they had that week. Great deal.

Mobil 1 products are rarely on sale, but even when they are, Walmart has the best price. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oil in all my vehicles, (with extended life oil filters). That way I typically only need to do 1 oil change per year per vehicle.

I second the Lubegard additives. I've been using those for a long time, I also use their PS additive often. They do make one that is supposed to make a Mercon(Dexron III) fluid work in a Mercon V application. I was cheaper in 2005 with my first ATF change of my 99. I had a case left of the old Mercon/Dexron III, and I bought that special Lubegard version. It worked well, but I don't plan to use that one again. They make several versions, be careful when selecting one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back