• Register Today It's free!

Air bag light

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
This morning when I started up the vehicle the airbag light remained on, I know sometimes these can flash a code, so the second time I started the vehicle I made sure to watch for any code. But, nope, nothing, it just comes on and stays on solid.

Any idea's what the problem might be? Nothing has changed on the vehicle, drove it Tuesday, no air bag light, it say until today and now the light is on.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a stored code that can be read by obd2 scanners that are able to read airbag codes. Easy things to check without a scanner are the battery and the connector for the passenger seat pressure sensor. If your battery is more than 5 years it most likely needs to be replaced if it is newer have it tested just to be sure.

Well, the light went off, but does keep coming back on again every few days. I keep forgetting to try and read any codes, but will do that later and post back what I can find (assuming the code reader I have will read any).

I did check the battery and it was reading a little over 12.4V with the ignition off, so it may be that the battery is just starting to fail. I believe it had a sticker on it from 2012, so about 6 years old which is about what I would expect from it as well.

Well, the light went off, but does keep coming back on again every few days. I keep forgetting to try and read any codes, but will do that later and post back what I can find (assuming the code reader I have will read any).

I did check the battery and it was reading a little over 12.4V with the ignition off, so it may be that the battery is just starting to fail. I believe it had a sticker on it from 2012, so about 6 years old which is about what I would expect from it as well.
My 2010 was storing airbag codes(on off light and sensor unsure) from a bad battery. 6 years is time. I bet that will take care of it.

If you don't feel its a false alarm caused by the battery, go and get yourself a ELM327 and forscan. you can set it up to monitor the pids from each individual sensor. Then you can tell exactly which component of the restraint system is causing the issue. There is a very good video I used as a reference to troubleshoot the system in my wife's escape. Tracked it down to a bad connector in the curtain airbag on the passenger side that runs down the back pillar of the car. The resistance was bouncing all over the place causing it to trip the system.

Pretty sure it is the battery at the moment, not only is it 6 years old, but I checked the voltage when my wife got home last night and it was about 11.5v, checked again this morning and it is now only showing 11.1V. Time for a new battery.

Replaced the battery last Friday, no airbag light since. Happy that it was not something more serious!!

Replaced the battery last Friday, no airbag light since. Happy that it was not something more serious!!
Glad to hear it! I think the airbag light is often a first sign of battery trouble on there trucks.

Back