• Register Today It's free!

Part number question

HSlough

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 four door
can can anyone give me the part numbers for the competition cams 422 and 410 cams and the 988 Springs and what else is involved with putting these combinations on tm95 heads on an early model 90-94 short block. once the heads are assembled can I just bolt them down and not have to worry about checking valve clearance or anything like. And if I do this combination will I have to run premium gas all the time I don't plan on racing it I just want them little bit extra power, it's going to be a daily driver

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the 410 cam you dont ""really need"" the dual springs but highly suggest them..the spring seat needs to be milled as well as the valve seal perch..

You also need longer pushrods from smith brothers for either cam..

Yes you can just bolt them on any 90-94 block and it will raise compression to 10:1 and id suggest atleast 89 gas and tr6 plugs..id also suggest using the blue super duty felpro gaskets, rock auto has them and the part number has ""SD"" on them..

Screenshot_2018-03-22-19-16-40.png

Thank you sir!

Thank you sir!
No problem. .built many with this combo..

Also forgot if you do run the 988 springs i highly suggest SI stainless one piece valves ..stock valves are 2 piece and can break.. think part numbers were sev 2027 and sev 2028 or something like that,i have them listed on here somewhere with pricing ..

I was scanning through a ton of threads this week and I ran across on that had pics of all the different engine part across the first 3gens and the difference but now I can't find it it was full of info. You don't happen to know what I'm talking about do ya?

I was scanning through a ton of threads this week and I ran across on that had pics of all the different engine part across the first 3gens and the difference but now I can't find it it was full of info. You don't happen to know what I'm talking about do ya?
Not honestly ,i have a TON of threads on here and info at my shop about the ohv though ..any info you need i should have

Well I just bought a 4.0 from a friend of mine that in turn got it from a friend of his. My explorer is a 93 with the original motor in it. The deal is we don't know what year this motor is I got off my buddy. What I was going to do is pull the motor out of my explorer and do a bearing and ring job on it and throw it back in. But if this salvage motor looks like I can do all the work and then put it in mine with out the down time it would be great.
My motor that's in the explorer has a hurt head gasket but it does have new heads maybe 30000 miles on them and I was wanting to reuse those on the salvage motor but not sure about compression or anything that might change between years

Well I just bought a 4.0 from a friend of mine that in turn got it from a friend of his. My explorer is a 93 with the original motor in it. The deal is we don't know what year this motor is I got off my buddy. What I was going to do is pull the motor out of my explorer and do a bearing and ring job on it and throw it back in. But if this salvage motor looks like I can do all the work and then put it in mine with out the down time it would be great.
My motor that's in the explorer has a hurt head gasket but it does have new heads maybe 30000 miles on them and I was wanting to reuse those on the salvage motor but not sure about compression or anything that might change between years
What does the motor have stamped on it?? Should say 90tm or 93tm or 94tm or 95tm or 97tm or lastly 98tm??

But if your brand new heads are 90tm or 93tm your not going to be able to raise compression,you need 95tm+ head with 90-94 pistons to raise compression. .

I'll check and get back. On the job right now. Thanks for your help

Back