Mobil 1 Extended Performance vs Annual Protection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mobil 1 Extended Performance vs Annual Protection

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I don't want to start yet another thread on which oil is "best" so please keep your comments confined to Molbil 1 - Thanks.

I've been using Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oil (with extended life oil filters) in my Explorers for years now. We typically don't put more than 10k a year on our vehicles. This allows me to do only one oil change per year on each vehicle, which has been a huge plus for me in labor, disposal and in trying to keep track of 6 vehicles. I have no complaints using the EP, other than you don't want to purchase it by the quart.

Now I see that Mobil 1 has come out with a new oil called Annual Protection, but as far as I know it doesn't replace the Extended Performance. The Annual Performance is $39 a jug at Walmart (was $49) where the EP is around $25 per jug. Does anyone know what the deal is with their new oil? Maybe they're saying that you only have to change it once a year regardless of the number of miles?

I'm not planning on switching to the Annual Performance, but I'm just wondering what others here think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw the commerical on tv a little while ago. Interesting, but I've been using just the regular syn Mobil 1 with Motorcraft oil filters since 100K and I do intervals at 6K, works for me.

I don't know if you watch him on youtube, But EricTheCarGuy is doing a test with the Annual Protection. He has a 2000s Honda Odassy and he took a sample from the car when he changed the oil and hes going to take a sample at the end of the 20,000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first and see if the oil actually protects as long as it should. Myself and others are actually curious to see what happens, and hes not being paid to do it.

I was using M1 EP with the EP filter on my Explorer and am now using it on my Edge. Change it at 6k intervals. Sorry, but I simply do not trust an oil to go a full year or even 10k miles. Based on my VAST experience and DEEP knowledge of the internal combustible(!) engine, I think 10k is about the limit on oil life. Which translates into "I feel most comfortable and it makes me feel good to do my oil changes at about 6k." I haven't seen but would be interested in what Bobistheoilguy has to say about M1 Annual Performance.

It's supposed to be 1 year/20k protection. Since you're not going over 10k, I'd say it's not worth the premium.

Agree completely, I would never buy Annual Protection since I am doing 6k changes. Prolly a little overkill for me even to do 6k changes with M1 EP. But it makes me feel good to know I've got pretty much new oil and filter in the car at all times. Costs be damned!! :thumbsup:

I'm very comfortable using the M1/EP. My '01 EB 5.0 w/193k only has about 2,500 miles on it since I last changed the oil in it last spring and I plan on changing it next month. My daughter's '00 Mountaineer 5.0 w/250k+ gets the most miles on it per year (maybe 6k) and it's always used about a quart every 3-4K, so I use the M1/EP with an extended life filter. Of my personal vehicles, I put the most miles per year on my '01 ST (about 5k when it's not broken down) so I'm good there.

Supposedly M1/EP is capable of suspending more dirt and it resists breakdown. That's how it can go more miles and last for up to 12 months. The way my vehicles are driven, I'm more about the months than the number of miles per year. So far no issues with the EP.

I would not use the M1 Annual Protection mainly because of the price (was $50 for the 5 qt jug at Walmart, now $40). I also don't see why Mobil came out with it, as seems to do about the same thing as the EP.

I've been using Mobil 1 since the early 90's with no oil related issues/failures. GM was able to eliminate the oil cooler from my '95 Corvette by using M1 and it noticeably lowered the engine temp in my '37 Ford street rod when I switched to M1. I have no reason to switch.

Haha!

Kinda like my VAST experience and and DEEP knowledge of women's rights marches has taught me they should not go longer than 10 minutes. After that and it becomes collective screaming about bodily functions and having to pay taxes on tampon.

:laugh:

I'm using the standard M1 synthetic with MC filter. Changed every 6 months. I don't drive it much. I only just switched it last month IDK what will happen. M1 has always been good for me. No idea what it had before I owned it.

Back when High Schools had Auto Shop, my Auto Shop Teacher for 4 years summed it pretty simply.

To paraphrase, he advised:

"Fluids are the cheapest thing you will put into your vehicle."
" Follow your own schedule and change them often."
" In the end, they will pay you back handsomely."

In my experience, he was correct...

We now return to our regular programming ;-)

Air filters do more to keep the engine oil clean, than the oil or its filter. But the oil filter still has to be able to capture as much debris as the oil carries, whether it's 3k, 5k, 6k, or 10-25k. I like Amsoil, but I do not trust their filters to catch and hold 25k's worth of contaminants.

I do like the Mobil 1 EP filters, they are one of the best available. I like those, the Amsoil best versions(which are most expensive($11-15 for most)), and Wix filters. But Wix doesn't have a higher level filter touted as being longer lasting(filtering). I wish Mobil 1 made the larger Ford filters in the EP line, such as the 460 and Super Duty units. I like one of those for fitting in place of the FL1A, but it's almost a 2 quart filter. That has the best chance to last a year and 25k miles etc.

I too like Mobil 1 Oil Filters. When they first came out, they were reasonable - but as they got popular, the price shot up past $15 EACH. So I changed over, and watch Amazon, Rock Auto, and Ebay for great prices (i.e. $5 each) on Bosch Distance Plus D3500 Oil Filters and stock up on them for my 4.0 OHV. But recently, in the past year or two, the price on these too has shot up as they've got more good press reports.

71cN6N861%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

The Air Filter I use and keep an eye out for on sale (i.e. $8) is Purolator Pure One A35192

03c2a012-3d27-49a9-b582-6e05021db579.jpg

As far as Motor Oil, I started off with Mobil -1 Synthetic, then the price shot up so I switched over to Valvoline Synthetic, then the price shot up so now I'm on Pennzoil Pure Plus Synthetic.

I purchase in 5 quart jugs from Walmart & Amazon, changing it every 3,000 miles.

I have 2 cars, so watch for manufactures rebates on Oil on the website "Slickdeals"
LINK: Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts

Thanks, I'll look into those. Bosch makes very good products.

Thanks, I'll look into those. Bosch makes very good products.
They're made in USA and are VERY HEAVY WEIGHT (like the M-1EP Filters).
I suspect they're made by the same company.
During my oil change, when I pre-prime them with oil before install, they hold close to a quart!
Keep an eye out for them, as when they're on sale, they're heavily discounted.
Quick check on Ebay shows them currently between $7.29 - $8.00 Shipped/No Tax
Also noticed over the years that on Ebay they get the deepest discounts shipped out of Texas...
Link: bosch d3500 | eBay

Thanks, and I just checked my wish list on Amazon; the Wix 51714 is the big daddy of filters that can fit in place of an FL1A. It's a lot larger around, over 4", so it won't fit anywhere. But for an external filter mount, it might depending on where you mount it. The oil filter is major in determining what interval an oil and filter can be left on.

The only other oil on the market that I know of that claims and guarantees yearly protection is Amsoil Signature. I would reckon Mobil 1 makes and markets Annual to give Amsoil some competition. "The World's Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand" isn't going to let "The First In Synthetics" have a market all to themselves.The almighty dollar made them do it.

I know you said to keep the subject on Mobil 1, but I think this engine would have look exactly the same if it used Mobil 1 for 900,000 miles following the change interval on the bottle. (15,000/20,000/yearly)

Prove The 999,999 Miles

Another reason I buy Amsoil is so as not give the Rockefeller's one more flippin' dollar than I already have to (like at the pump). Superior, WI boarders the Michigan UP and they need all the jobs they can get up there, but that just me. Every dollar is a vote for and/or against something. Remember when we as a country collectively decided to kick all our small family business' to the curb by doing all our shopping at Walmart? To save a few dollars by buying pos Chinese products that break the second time you use it instead of a quality product made in USA from your neighbor? In this case, it's the choice between a global monopoly with a great product vs a "local" business with a superior product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back