Where to buy A4LD Parts in 2018 - Governor?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to buy A4LD Parts in 2018 - Governor??

Markh

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hello,

I have a 1994 Explorer XLT 2WD - A4LD, 196,000 Miles, all still Factory. I swear by Slick 50" added to the motor oil. Just passed inspection March 2018, inspector said the emissions numbers were "very good" for age of vehicle.
-
There is much Fantastic information on this site that has me all ready to dig into my Explorer Tranny...
Unfortunately, many of the links from past post are broken.
Specifically, the Governor seams to be discontinued...
** Where can I buy the Governor and the Extension Housing Gasket??
I would like to have the on hand before I take the tranny apart.
I have tried to look up some of the vendors suggested in Glacier991's fantastic "Rebuild diary", but no luck.
-
I have the hesitation and the a Flair (RPM jumps a bit before going into 2nd gear, so I let of the accelerator a bit every time that happens).
> Otherwise the tranny runs pretty much like new... Has had this problem for @ least the last 60,000 miles... So I have been driving I like a Granny...
No towing... and no pulling out in front of other cars for sure ;-}>
> I have replaced Tranny fluid and filter twice... the Last time, did DIY Flush of entire system. Don't remember any Metal chunks.
> Added a external filter... X came with the factory "Towing Package", so has Ford tranny-cooler behind radiator.
> I even adjusted the Intermediate Band and did not screw anything up... but, unfortunately made no difference. After torqueing it to 120 in. lbs., it backed of 2 turns to nearly the same place it was set at factory... Came out just a hint of a turn tighter... like 1/300th of a turn... Just enough to notice on the mark I made before starting.
From what I have read on the site, sounds like may be a sticky governor??
should the modulator be changed at same time??

Thank you,

Mark

Also, I forgot to mention, I did not see an ID Tag on the extension housing bolt.
Can anyone tell me how to Identify the exact model # of the A4LD that I have... again 1994 2wd XLT explorer.
I have the list of Governor part numbers from the "a4ld tranny won't 1-2 shift" post, but wanted to buy the Governor before starting job.
That part # list requires you to have the Governor in you hand to decide part # for correct Governor.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hey Mark I can help you out. Just PM me.

Back