Will this OBDII Scanner work with my Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will this OBDII Scanner work with my Explorer?

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
I am looking for a cheap code reader for my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV. As far as I know it is compatible with Ob2 code readers.

The question is will this model work ? My local shop wants me to pay an hour of labor ($120) for reading the check engine code and the parts stores around here wont do it for free like most areas.

OBDII Scanner Code Reader CAN OxGord MS309 OBD2 Scan Tool Diagnostic 840345113382 | eBay

Any other suggestion on a sub $25 code reader? I dont need anything fancy just a one time deal to see what the codes are on a newly purchased vehicle.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF you have a laptop or Smartphone with the ELM 327 adapter, the Forscan app may be the best bang for the buck.

explorer forum forscan obd2 - Google Search

Thanks for the suggestion. I did read up on these devices but am looking for an all in one unit rather than lugging my laptop around. I probably will only use it once or twice to diagnose the initial codes so something cheap and simple should work just fine.

Any ODB II scanner will work with your '98 Explorer, or any other ODB II compliant vehicle ('1996-current). Also, many auto parts stores will scan your codes for free.

Any ODB II scanner will work with your '98 Explorer, or any other ODB II compliant vehicle ('1996-current). Also, many auto parts stores will scan your codes for free.
Thats what I thought but was getting mixed answers when I looked it up online. For some reason my local parts stores will not scan the codes in my area.

I use a free app called torque on my smartphone, with a $20 OBD2 bluetooth adaptor I got off amazon. I think Bafx is a good one, but there may be others...

Thats what I thought but was getting mixed answers when I looked it up online. For some reason my local parts stores will not scan the codes in my area.

Some part stores don't like scanning codes because you can't take them at face value. If you do you may purchase expensive, non-returnable parts when you actual problem was a simple broke wire. Then you get mad at the parts store, when the error was yours. A TDC points you in a direction, but further diagnosis is almost always required. Also, you can get 6 or 7 TDC's that are being caused by a single TDC. If you go chasing all 6-7 codes w/out knowing what the real problem is you drive yourself nuts and waste money on unneeded parts.

Thanks guys! The cheaper scanner worked. I was getting a misfire on cylinder #4 as I thought and changed the spark plugs. I reset the codes and it has not came back yet. Also, the vehicle is no longer missing as the spark plug was pretty nasty! Im guessing a set of injectors is in store for my ride soon.

29830859_1922377514441105_1589290706_o.jpg

wish my plug looked that good!

glad it worked for you :chug:

Back