• Register Today It's free!

Static current draw

Donystoy

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6
Does anyone know how much current draw there is from the battery when the vehicle is not running?
I have had the battery go flat a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. The first time I can understand since it hadn't been started for three weeks but the last time it had only been a few days. I remembered the trailer brake indicator light been on occasionally so I checked the battery draw. It indicated about 1 1/2 amps. I replaced the trailer plug below the rear bumper which did show some corrosion. I am now showing about .27 amps on my ammeter. Does that sound about right? Besides the security system I am not sure what else would draw power. Might have to install a switch on the brake controller to isolate power to the rear plug. It doesn't help either that the pin for the brake circuit is adjacent to the ground pin. This is a 7 pin female plug with flat pins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know how much current draw there is from the battery when the vehicle is not running?
I have had the battery go flat a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. The first time I can understand since it hadn't been started for three weeks but the last time it had only been a few days. I remembered the trailer brake indicator light been on occasionally so I checked the battery draw. It indicated about 1 1/2 amps. I replaced the trailer plug below the rear bumper which did show some corrosion. I am now showing about .27 amps on my ammeter. Does that sound about right? Besides the security system I am not sure what else would draw power. Might have to install a switch on the brake controller to isolate power to the rear plug. It doesn't help either that the pin for the brake circuit is adjacent to the ground pin. This is a 7 pin female plug with flat pins.
@Donystoy
This is usually called "parasitic current draw". Without any add-ons, the battery must supply continuously a small amount of current to the PCM (computer) and Air Bag power supply. .27 amps is a bit high, will drain a battery in several days. The PCM takes about 0.005 amps, air bags I'm not certain. Added since I studied this **** have been Security Modules, etc. So, not sure, but .27 amps is too much IMO. imp

Thanks! I will have to monitor this. When I got the vehicle almost new it would last about a month if left without starting as when on holidays.
I might have to check each fuse for current draw to narrow it down. .27 amps still seemed slightly high to me as well which is the reason I posted this.

I'll have to agree with @imp

.27 amps is a bit high, will drain a battery in several days.

Perhaps keep your amp meter hooked up and pull fuses 1 at a time and note any major drop offs?

This would help you narrow down the problem area.

Good idea to pull fuses while ammeter is in the circuit. I found this attached link to an earlier post on the topic where some think that .47 is not unusual.
One chap suggesting that if vehicle is left in an airport parking lot for three weeks or more that just disconnecting the battery would work. I have not done that but some vehicles these days do not have a way to unlock the door mechanically with a key.

Parasitic Current Draw??

Actually they do.

Look at the UNDERSIDE of the drivers door handle.

Back up key goes there.

Too bad the back up key is usually in the glove box.

Back