• Register Today It's free!

Rear brake upgrade

VR4

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer
Time came for rear brakes. I knew they were close but didn't care as I planned on replacing everything anyways. I didn't know they had gone to metal. Honestly couldn't hear it. Happened to look at them a few days ago and saw that.

2011 ranger rear rotors and calipers. 02 explorer 4 door rear pads. Slight work needed to fit the rotors with the stock explorer caliper brackets. Otherwise everything fit very well.

Sport Trac front upgrade coming as soon as I find parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

h5jFgIb.jpg

BP8VI6M.jpg

htt
Mc165WP.jpg

Any difference in stopping power ? What slight modification did you have to make to the stock bracket ?

Any difference in stopping power ? What slight modification did you have to make to the stock bracket ?

Can't really answer that as they haven't seated or bed in yet.

I also really need to get the front done. Bleeder screws are stuck and I've had them crazy hot a couple times. The pedal in my 2wd is so much better.

Slight grinding on the bracket to clear the rotor and on the hoses to fit the caliper. The mounting pad on the new caliper is different than the explorer. I'll be looking into ranger hoses when I get more time to play with it.

Great work, well done. I like the sight of vented rotors, I need that for my severe duty usage. The inner dimensions also match and accept the existing parking brake pads? Why didn't you use the 2011 Ranger pads also?

I have stock brakes on my mail truck other than the 01 Sport rotors(cryo) and spindles. I left the back alone five years ago until I had time to research the back parts.

Thanks for the work, that might be enough for my 99, the back doesn't have to be exceptional like the front. They just must be even wearing and useful, plus a usable parking brake.

What diameter are those 2011 Ranger rotors, versus the stock and Sport Trac's? I'd like them to be at least 12", 11" is too small and 13" isn't needed.

To be clear I didn't really do this for ultimate breaking power. It was for repeated heavy use without fade.

The parking brake is the same.

Ranger pad is 10mm longer ear to ear so they won't fit in the explorer bracket. I am going to look into making a ranger axle bracket fit someday to use the larger pad.

They are 10mm larger diameter than the stock rotors. Again I was more after the vented rotor. They are the same diameter and thickness as the cvpi rear rotors but the parking brake hat measurements more closely fit the explorer axle. The center of the rotor falls in about the same place as the stock explorer rotor instead of being pushed out away from the backing plate.

That's interesting, as I have the 03-06 CV rear brake parts stored for use on my Lincoln. I've thought of using those for the Explorer, but someone here pointed out that they might have a different mounting pattern for the bracket on the axle. I haven't checked it but they are a decent size. Keep at it, other people will learn from what you do and it can help them.

It could be an optical illusion but it looks like the rotor surface where the studs stick through has a larger diameter then the stock rotor.

That could be very handy for the guys who want to drill them for 5 on 5.5. Can you verify if this is so?

Isn't there a third gen expo caliper and pad upgrade that is bolt on to the second gen rear ?

Isn't there a third gen expo caliper and pad upgrade that is bolt on to the second gen rear ?
The 3rd gen pads have more surface area. You need the calipers because of the ears that lock into the piston.

I'm using 3rd gen pads on a larger than stock rotor.

I'm pretty sure the rotor hat is an illusion. Parking brakes are the same size

The 3rd gen pads have more surface area. You need the calipers because of the ears that lock into the piston.

I'm using 3rd gen pads on a larger than stock rotor.

I'm pretty sure the rotor hat is an illusion. Parking brakes are the same size

Does 2011 ranger caliper and pad = 3rd gen explorer caliper and pad ?

Does 2011 ranger caliper and pad = 3rd gen explorer caliper and pad ?
No. Ranger calipers are wider to allow for the 19mm width rotor vs the stock 12mm rotor. Ranger pads are both a bit thicker and have a longer backing plate

I wasn't talking about the diameter of the hat, just the surface the wheel rest against.

It looks larger like a larger axle flange would fit in it.

you will need to check for interference with the parking shoes

FYI, I checked on some specs while at O'Reilly's last night renting a couple of tools.

I checked the caliper pistons sizes, rear rotor, thickness, and pad sizes, for four vehicles that I might consider to swap rear brakes, to my 99 Explorer and 91 Lincoln. Fortunately the store has those specs listed if needed, which helped a ton, versus hands on comparisons.

The vehicles I checked on were the 2011 Ranger, a 2003 Crown Vic, a 2003 Mustang Cobra, and my 91 Mark VII. The caliper piston size is the most critical spec to consider for swapping brakes. You must not alter radically the actual brake force of the caliper, with much larger pistons than the original, or smaller at all. The Cobra rear calipers have 1.5" pistons, two others have 1.9" pistons, and the Lincoln being 1.8" basically(within a few thousands). The Mustang calipers would be a bad choice to swap to, those would reduce brake power, even with the rotor size gain.

The rotor diameters and thicknesses are the same between the 11 Ranger, Cobra, and 03-11 Crown Vic. They are all 11.65" and .72 thick, bigger than 2nd gen Explorers but just slightly. They are all vented, which is a big plus.

The Ranger and Crown Vics have the exact same pad available, some alternative pads for each(compounds). So those use the same pads if it matters.

I'm hoping to find that the 03-11 CV's have the same 8.8 bracket bolt pattern as the 8.8 Explorers. I have a complete set of the parts from an 03 CVPI, and those are much easier to get at a JY, so that might be the best answer. Will the calipers center over the rotors(axle offset), and last the pads, is there any larger pad that could be used, like the 3rd gen Explorer's? Will that go into the 2011 Ranger caliper, which would also match the 03-11 Crown Vic rear calipers?

I didn't ask to see a 3rd gen pad, I only looked at a 2011 rear pad, which are just a hair bigger than the 2dn gen pads. I don't have a wearing problem with the rear brakes, I would not modify much to be able to use a different pad than the caliper is made for. It's not a big enough deal.

I'll dig out my 03 CV brakes from a box I've got them in, and the parking brake cables. I have my 99 Explorer almost ready to work on, and the brakes will be one of many items to do before driving it again.

I just priced the Crown Vic rear rotors and pads by EBC(with red pads(higher weight and heat)) at about $205 from Summit and Amazon sources. That's a decent price for high level brake parts. There isn't a feasible choice for a cryo rotor, one is close to $150 each, so the EBC rotors are better at the $150-$185 a pair range. The pads run about $65 themselves, so the kit(EBC S4KR1378) is cheaper if you need both.

To update this a little, I did finally get my 03 CVPI rear brakes out to see if they'd fit the 2nd gen Explorers. The backing plate is a problem, those are turned 90* on the 03-10 Crown Vics etc. That places the parking brake cable above or below, not workable as is on these Explorers.

I want to see the 2010 Ranger rear brake backing plate, the parking brake cable attachment. Please post a picture of you have one of those brakes.

I can take these CV backing plates and have the four mounting holes redrilled, to turn it 90* on the axle, and thus locate the parking brake cables to the side. That could work, but it also would require welding a tab onto the axle, on both sides, to hold the cables as they need to be. I don't think I want to do that right now. If the Ranger backing plates can be sourced feasibly, I'd rather do that. The deal is to be able to mount parking brake cables to the truck with the different brakes.

Anyone get this swap sorted out? I'd love to increase my stopping power (2nd gen currently rolling on 20's) without breaking the bank. I've searched and searched, but haven't come up with a completed project that fits my needs. Has anyone tried putting 4/5th gen rotors/calipers on a 2nd gen?

The rear brakes I think the easiest upgrade will be the 2010/11 Ranger rear brakes. I'm not positive about how the parking brake cables will attach, whether easy or hard(require welding maybe), but the 11.6" rotors being vented, would be plenty for the rear. The front does almost 90% of the stopping.

I may look into this before buying the little shop MFG 13/14 inch rear set. I don't have parking brakes anymore (previous owner removed them couldn't afford to fix them).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have my rear axles out for servicing my rear and the brakes too. If I could find some spare time, I'd find a Ranger and get those brakes to finish this. I have the new rotors and pads I bought for a CV 03-06, they may or may not work with the Ranger parts.

Back