Aftermarket Stereo with Factory Rear DVD System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Stereo with Factory Rear DVD System

YamahaDrtRdr

Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
I recently purchased an in-dash multimedia reciever (Dual XDVD8265), but ran into a problem installing it. Once you remove the factory stereo the rear entertainment system will no longer work, bummer right? My plan was to have the rear screen be a secondary monitor for the in-dash unit. (Basically I wanted play movies from the front, have it also show from the back, and have sound from the speakers)

I had to figure out how to power the rear system without the factory headunit. So I pulled down the rear player to find out what color wires were coming and going from it. I matched them with ones coming in and out of the harness behind the headunit. 3 matched, a tan, blue/pink, and a green/black. I narrowed it down to the green/black wire. So I soldered this green/black wire to a switched power source (same one used for the new headunit). Now I can power the rear entertainment system without the factory headunit.

Outcome: I can watch a movie from the front and back while listening through the speakers -OR- friends can watch a movie in the back using wireless headphones, while I can listen to music in the front(or watch a different movie)

The reason I posted this was because when I tried searching for a solution on this website, all I found was new threads asking for help, but no response.(or it was solved using e-mail and wasnt posted in a forum for everyone else to view) Hope this helped someone else trying to figure out what to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey i know this is an old thread but hopefully youll get this...
iv got a valor 700w as my headunit well its not in yet, so you are saying that the back headunit thing isnt going to work or it doesnt have power. because i was wanting to take that out and put a small monitor there. and how did you get yours out and do you know the demensions?

ive tried this, and it didnt work. how do you get the screens to play the same thing. do you have to hook up any other wires.

Thanks for sharing this info. I did exactly as you described and it worked perfectly!

ok, just wondering what year this applies to?? i had tried to do the same thing, but what i did was buy an aftermarket harness for the deck and subwoffer, and the light for the dvd on button turns on. after fooling around with the dvd wiring, if i had connected a 12v source to the dvd green/black wire, the dvd player turns on and shuts off after a few seconds. did you guys run into the same problem. how did you guys install the deck, cut the factory harness for the headunit, or did you buy a aftermarket harness???

Have you found a fix to this? I have the 04 ford explorer and am doing the same but the dvd player comes on then of again.

I have a 05 mountaineer and I have a pioneer avh-601ex but can't get the rear screen to work.

Hi.
I have a 2005 Lincoln aviator and im trying to keep my rear factory dvd player. I bought a pioneer radio, the steering wheel control retainer and the 5 volt wiring harness. Any help on what I can do to keep the dvd player would be most helpful. Thank you in advance.
Rose. voodoo.chyld21@gmail

Hi.
I have a 2005 Lincoln aviator and im trying to keep my rear factory dvd player. I bought a pioneer radio, the steering wheel control retainer and the 5 volt wiring harness. Any help on what I can do to keep the dvd player would be most helpful. Thank you in advance.
Rose. voodoo.chyld21@gmail

Did you have any luck finding a head unit that works with the rear entertainment system? I have a 2003 Aviator in perfect condition. I too would like to keep the rear DVD but need a new head unit with bluetooth, Apple Car play, etc.

Go onto Crutchfield's website. You need to use a module from iDatalink called a Maestro RR. It allows you to use all the factory installed components with an aftermarket radio.

Back