Help with A/C | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with A/C

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
The A/C system has been down on my 03 Explorer XLT for about 2 years now. Last year I used UV dye to no avail in an attempt to find a leak, I could not find one.

It will hold a charge but slowly get less cold and then blow warm. What else could cause this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A/C Condenser or evaporator core ?

Would it be worth replacing those just to see if it fixes the issue? How difficult are they to replace?

The A/C system has been down on my 03 Explorer XLT for about 2 years now. Last year I used UV dye to no avail in an attempt to find a leak, I could not find one.

It will hold a charge but slowly get less cold and then blow warm. What else could cause this?

Thanks

Curious to know if you have done anything other than to add refrigerant. Have you changed out any of the A/C components and are you using manifold gauges when adding refrigerant?

I've got my own plight going on with refrigerant leaking. Click HERE to read. I didn't have any luck with a Harbor Freight refrigerant sniffer. I have since added dye to the system but I also cannot find where the leak is using a UV light. I did not change out my condenser or evaporator and if the problem continues I just may change the condenser.

Oddly, enough refrigerant has not leaked out and the system runs well but I know for a fact that with a vacuum pump it will not hold vacuum.

Curious to know if you have done anything other than to add refrigerant. Have you changed out any of the A/C components and are you using manifold gauges when adding refrigerant?

I've got my own plight going on with refrigerant leaking. Click HERE to read. I didn't have any luck with a Harbor Freight refrigerant sniffer. I have since added dye to the system but I also cannot find where the leak is using a UV light. I did not change out my condenser or evaporator and if the problem continues I just may change the condenser.

Oddly, enough refrigerant has not leaked out and the system runs well but I know for a fact that with a vacuum pump it will not hold vacuum.
I added refrigerant straight from the can. It blows cold for about 15-30 minutes and then slowly gets warm again. Don't own manifold gauges. I have not attempted to swap out any components either. I'd assume a refrigerant sniffer will only work if there's charge in the system to leak out, I could be wrong though.

Sounds like you have a major leak. I bet a sniffer just might work because the leak is large enough but not too much. You can "rent" free manifold gauges from places like AutoZone, et al. At this point, you need to find the leak as manifold gauges are useless for your situation for now.

Sounds like you have a major leak. I bet a sniffer just might work because the leak is large enough but not too much. You can "rent" free manifold gauges from places like AutoZone, et al. At this point, you need to find the leak as manifold gauges are useless for your situation for now.
How do I go about this then?

How do I go about this then?

Get an sniffer from Harbor Freight. Put refrigerant into your system then use the sniffer to find where the leak is.

Order a sniffer on Ebay. They can be had for $22 with free shipping and work great for the home mechanic. My compressor just failed after 116k. Bought a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, expansion valve, pag oil and all o-rings for $158 on Ebay from Pit Stop Auto. Couldn't believe the price foe everything! Flushed and pulled a vacuum for an hour and recharged. Works great.

Anyways, if you're losing refrigerant that quick then you have a big leak. Go over all lines, compressor, condenser, evap box drain port, etc. If you have rear A/C then go over all of that as well. You will find it this way. Could be an evaporator, an o-ring, hose, etc. No way to know and no sense throwing parts at it. A $22 tool will help you out.

Back