The Black Hole | Page 121 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We also managed to get the new Camburg Inner TRE's, and the new Pro-forged outer TRE's installed.

Set the toe to 1/8" In, to make it to the alignment shop, this week. Been wanting to eliminate the weak spot in the front for a looooong time. I'm stoked about these being on now. :)

Camburg TRE installed.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

First class the whole way.. Beautiful.

Looking good! What lb rate springs are you running? How's it ride?

I'd look into some of the boots for the inners. My last 2 sets haven't made it past over 15k miles of road driving. I'm just now trying out the boots so don't have any reviews yet. These are from seals-it.

20180216_185749.jpg

1524488827212.jpg

I figured they would be like most Heims and will need some attention down the road, and thought about modifying the bellow boots to fit over them. I decided against it when installing, thinking they wouldn't stay on, and I would be constantly messing with them.

Thanks for the info, as those look pretty neat if they work, and hold up to the heim bolt. I might give them a try if I can find em.

Oh and buy the 6 pack, I tore the first one I tried to put on. They are super stretchy but also super tight so they seal around the threads and bolts.

I'm going to be working on a bellows boot also for mine but I've been running without them for awhile. The factory one definitely won't work and will get pinched between the rack and adapter at full lock and crack the r&p housing (ask me how I know). They require boots here in va for inspection.

Got the ride height set where I need it. :)

But... When I took it for the coil settling run, I noticed the O/D light no longer works. It worked yesterday. :confused2:

I am chasing down problems left & right with this thing, and it hasn't made it anywhere but around the block a few times since mid Feb!! I'm beyond upset with those hacks. :censored::censored::censored:

Wait until I show what they did to my oil pan. :fart:

Brakes are soft, and barely stop the rig right now. We bled it a few weeks ago. There must be air getting into the system somewhere. :banghead:

The rest of the day will be spent correcting the Atlas shifter tower rod alignment, that they couldn't figure out how to set properly. I even gave them the Atlas manual, and verbal instructions on how to do this. :crazy:

Great thread...Sorry about the work done on your truck...I'm speechless. When I had my shop, I tried to turn the tables on the industry from stories like this in providing a service that included my customers in every aspect of the work. 15 yrs i did this.

Moving forward, I like what your doing and it looks like your making great progress. Cheers! :chug:

Got the ride height set where I need it. :)

But... When I took it for the coil settling run, I noticed the O/D light no longer works. It worked yesterday. :confused2:

I am chasing down problems left & right with this thing, and it hasn't made it anywhere but around the block a few times since mid Feb!! I'm beyond upset with those hacks. :censored::censored::censored:

Wait until I show what they did to my oil pan. :fart:

Brakes are soft, and barely stop the rig right now. We bled it a few weeks ago. There must be air getting into the system somewhere. :banghead:

The rest of the day will be spent correcting the Atlas shifter tower rod alignment, that they couldn't figure out how to set properly. I even gave them the Atlas manual, and verbal instructions on how to do this. :crazy:

Sorry the truck still has some issues.

The brakes are likely air in the ABS unit itself. Normal bleeding doesn't push through the entire ABS module, those have passages in them which are like dead ends. The only way to bleed them well is with a special tool, or if you can create enough brake pressure to force the ABS to engage. Bleed them as you can, then try to drive it and mash the brakes. If the ABS will kick in, some of the air will be purged, and the brakes will feel better.

I had my 95 Crown Vic go through that. I added ABS to the car, module and two rear lines(4 channel), wired it in, and it was driveable, with soft brakes. It was driveable so I lived with it, and the brakes got better and better. It took a couple of weeks of hard braking to make it feel like it was good, and it got better still later on.

The hood looks good. I like that.

The Od off light, check to see it comes on during bulb check when you turn on the key. although it would suck to have to replace it, a burned out bulb would be better than something else.
also, remember, the overdrive off switch itself might not be working. ;) or not fully plugged in.

I checked my O/D light for that. It doesn't come on with the ignition switch. Just when the OD button is pushed.

I checked my O/D light for that. It doesn't come on with the ignition switch. Just when the OD button is pushed.

Oh. Well, shoot.

No abs in this rig. Has been deleted long ago .

The light in the dash worked the other day, when I turned it off on a test run around the block. It's not coming on now, when I push the button. Hoping it's just a bad bulb, but with all the crap I keep finding, and all that has been done to it by that shop, I'm just not sure about anything anymore.

Just got the atlas linkage dialed in. They had it all messed up. No wonder we couldn't get it into high range getting it off the trailer. They had to have had to jam it hard to get it into gear when they had it. They was warned not to force it, and to adjust it more if it wouldnt slide easily into gear. Unreal.

Just found some more crap. I was charged for 2 new 02 sensors and there is only 1 new sensor. I paid for all new exhaust pipe from manifolds back, but they reused sections of my old pipe. I paid to have a new trans mount installed, but they reused the old donors. Why am I not surprised??

Fml

After removing the t-case skid, this is what I saw....

Old O2 on old pipe, & 1 new O2, and I'm not sure that isn't the same one Jon & I installed last July, on the way to CO.

Old O2.jpg

new O2.jpg

The O2 plug, ziptied to the dipstick. smh...

Os plug on dipstick.jpg

And some more old re-used exhaust pipe.

Reused pipe.jpg

So instead of 2.5" pipe all the way back, I now have a mix of 2.5" to the cats, then old 2.25" pipe to new 2.5" pipe, to the mufflers and back to the tailpipe tip. Awesome!! :splat:

Definitely some inexperience there with a little biting off more than they could chew. I bet they underpriced the actual job and instead of getting the actual job you were promised you got what they could do / afford with what time they had. I'd be putting them on blast so this doesn't happen to anyone else. I have a good idea where it was done but I'm not going to say.

Not sure what you got charged but my last one I did was around $4500 parts and labor. I also supplied the v8 driveline and 4406 case along with a bunch of front end parts..

No abs in this rig. Has been deleted long ago .
...:splat:

Umm, interesting. If it has no ABS, and it's a 98 PCM, how's the VSS signal wired to the speedometer and computer? I'm going by what people say when they swapped those PCM's into a non-Explorer(the transmission doesn't shift right etc). The VSS is used for trans shifting, and from 98-01 it goes to the ABS from the rear sensor, and then to the computer.

The donors electrical component from the HCU is in the harness, and bolted to the fender wall next to the booster. It's been done that way by many here, over the years. It is still reading the ABS system, but I have the front sensors unplugged, and it triggers the light, which shuts it off, and doesn't throw a code this way. Dash bulb has been removed so it doesn't annoy me. :D Rear diff sensor is dual purpose, and still works the speedo, and shift points.

As for price, lets just say, it cost more than $4.5k to do the swap, but the job was more than just an engine/trans swap. If it worked out as promised, it wouldn't be a thing, but since I am having to do a lot of the work they got paid to do, it kinda is a thing.

Gotcha, very good, planned to work right from the start.

Back