Modified Ranger, help with 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified Ranger, help with 5.0

John Buck

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
We modified a 1987 Ranger XLT with a 2000 Ranger frame and a 2000 5 Liter from an Explorer. There are plenty of unresolved issues but the most pressing is the dip stick reads low. It would take 7+ quarts of oil to reach the full line. Not sure what went wrong but we have tried several dip sticks and they all read the same. Any suggestions of where we went wrong would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
Let me ask the obvious questions. Are you using a dipstick for the 5.0? Do you have a factory oilpan, or larger aftermarket pan?

Is the dipstick tube stop all the way sat against the block? It's a stamped ring in the tube that is above the orings that seal it. If it's up even a 1/4" it will throw the measurement way off.

drain the oil then put in the low mark amount [say 5 quarts] then mark your dipstick then add the amount of oil you want to be your full mark and mark the dipstick.
roscoe

Welcome to the forum!
Let me ask the obvious questions. Are you using a dipstick for the 5.0? Do you have a factory oilpan, or larger aftermarket pan?
It is the factory pan and we have tried several dip sticks all from 5.0s. I am not so sure that the tube is from the 5.0, I will double check that and get back to you.

drain the oil then put in the low mark amount [say 5 quarts] then mark your dipstick then add the amount of oil you want to be your full mark and mark the dipstick.
roscoe
I tried to but 5 quarts barely hits the dip stick. I think 5 quarts is the amount of oil called for for the 5.0.

go find a longer dipstick and mark and cut desired length.
roscoe

Back